#1 danoise

danoise

Probably More God or Borg Than Human Member

• Renoise Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6073 posts
  • Interests:wildlife + urban trekking

Posted 12 October 2014 - 16:49

Lately, I have been diving deep into phrase territory, using Renoise in ways I have not previously been doing. 
And I discovered that, when using plugins, the way that LPB affects note delays in a phrase seems to depend on the song LPB. 

Take for instance a phrase containing three note columns, playing at 1LPB: 

00 : C-4 00 | B-3 55 | C-4 AA
01 : C-4 00 | B-3 55 | C-4 AA

We have delayed second note column by approx. 33%, third one by 66%. Or in other words, the 6 notes are evenly distributed across the two lines.

Now, if you enter this into the song it will play just fine at 1LPB, but change the song LPB to e.g. 4, and you will experience a strange combination where the lines are played in the original tempo (1LPB), but the note delays are processed as if they were 4LPB. The result: you will hear two note "clusters", each with three notes arriving really fast after one another.

I could shout "bug", because that was my first instinct. But I realize that this only applies to plugins, not sample-based instruments. Maybe the reality of this is more complicated...? 
But IMO, it isn't intuitive at all. You have carefully programmed the delay in order to maintain a specific rhythmic feeling. 

I've created an example song to demonstrate the issue. 

Attached File  phrase_plugin_delay_issue.xrns   22.44KB   134 downloads
  • toimp likes this

Tracking with Stuff. API wishlist | Soundcloud

#2 toimp

toimp

Big GrandDaddy Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Interests:Music, music, music ...

Posted 12 October 2014 - 17:44

I think its a bug, changing song related stuff shouldn't change the sound of instruments. Delay FX on plugin instruments seems to use the song lpb instead of the phrase lpb. I've similar issues with the beat sync function. You cant do song lpb independent beat synced looping in phrases. When you change the song lpb, the loop inside the phrase wont work as expected.

I hope this will be fixed in the next version. I like the phrase feature so much!