Ghost notes not working any more?

There is a tutorial on the blog that suggests removing the instrument number of a will trigger a hit at the envelope position where the previous one left -http://www.renoise.com/blog/ghostnotes

I can’t get this to work, I’m sure it used to though. Now it just triggers the hits from the start of the sample each time.

Has this functionality been removed or is something not working correctly?

Works fine for me.

So you have to have the sample belonging to a set with some kind of modulation on it for this to work? Seems like the behaviour has changed then, even then it doesn’t trigger the sample with a sample start offset.

Mhn, do you have a demo song? I’m not sure what you wantto achieve.

Sure. The first track is how it should be able to be set up according to the blog page - “As you can see, the Volume Envelope is triggered once at the first row. The following notes continue the envelope where the previous one has ended.”

The second track is a reproduction (in terms of the sound) of what I would expect to happen on the first track according to this description. It is interesting because if you create a mod set with a volume envelope like your example with the cut off then this does happen with the envelope you add but it doesn’t happen by default any more.

it doesn’t happen by default any more.

The ghost note technique primarily deals with the behaviour of the volume, pitch, or filter envelopes.

Your example instrument does not contain any envelopes, therefore the ghost notes are basically doing nothing special except retriggering the sample itself. I think it’s always worked this way, hasn’t it?

If you do actually add some envelopes to your instrument, then you’ll quite easily see/hear what the ghost notes are doing.

For example:
5333 roll-fixed.xrns

The ghost note technique primarily deals with the behaviour of the volume, pitch, or filter envelopes.

Your example instrument does not contain any envelopes, therefore the ghost notes are basically doing nothing special except retriggering the sample itself. I think it’s always worked this way, hasn’t it?

Well, that’s why I’m asking really, I’m not sure. The tutorial on the blog suggests that it hasn’t always been this way but your example and the previous one posted prove that this is the way it works now regardless. Maybe I’ll download some previous versions and have a look to see if it has changed but it’s not too important.

Thanks for the clarification anyway.