Copy Samples out of Renoise

I have a question about Renoise’s audio clipboard. In other DAWs like FL Studio and Reaper, I can drag audio files out of the browser (or wherever) and drop them in a location outside of the program, such as a Windows folder or another DAW. I’d like to do something similar in Renoise (specifically, copy audio samples out of a Renoise instrument and directly into another program), but I can’t figure out how, despite Renoise’s support for both internal audio drag-and-drop and dragging audio files in from other sources. I am also unable to drag samples from the Renoise file browser into plugins supporting this, e.g. Harmor. Is there a way to do these things (via drag-and-drop or another copy/paste method), and if not, why? (If it matters, I’m on Windows 7 32 bit)

right click on sample > save as

right click on sample > save as

The clunkiness of saving a sample to disc only to immediately open it in another location is exactly what I’m trying to avoid. The drag-to-another-DAW thing is admittedly a bit niche (although every other DAW I’ve tried can do it), but at the very least you’d think I’d be able to drag samples into plugins loaded in Renoise. I feel like this stuff should be possible. From the manual:

Renoise shares its clipboard content with the system on Windows, meaning you can quickly swap around sample data to and from Renoise when using an external sample editor that supports this feature. In many external editors you have to select/activate this feature first. To find out how to do this, please look at the external editor’s manual and search for the keywords: “System Clipboard”, “Copy”.

However, I have yet to successfully copy samples out of Renoise at all, even into Windows Explorer.

However, I have yet to successfully copy samples out of Renoise at all, even into Windows Explorer.

If you copy the raw sample data from Renoise’s sample editor, and then paste it into another sample editor application such as Wavosaur (or possibly even the sample editor within another DAW), then it should generally work.

If you copy the instrument from Renoise’s instrument list, then the clipboard essentially contains the XML that describes the .XRNI instrument. While Renoise can obviously handle this — even copying/pasting between multiple different Renoise instances — it’s unlikely that other applications will understand exactly how to handle that data, except to simply paste the raw XML as plain text.

Dragging instruments or samples out of Renoise in order to quickly save them as .XNRI or .WAV/FLAC on the file system (or load them into other apps) would obviously be quite useful and interesting, so that’s something we can potentially look into.

Thanks dblue, that’s exactly what I wanted to know! It looks like I can copy a sample out of Renoise’s sample editor and into FL’s Edison with a simple ctrl+c/ctrl+v, so that’s good enough for now. The ability to drag samples out of Renoise as wav files (or internally so they can be easily loaded into plugins like Harmor for resampling) is definitely something I’d like to see in a future release :slight_smile:

rename the xrs to zip and copy where you want.