Sound dies after exiting Renoise under Ubuntu linux

Hi.

I’m running Ubuntu 14.04 with renoise 3. Whenever I run it, the sound shuts off for all other aplications except Renoise. I have to reboot the computer to turn the sound back on. Anyone out there know what’s going on?

–Dean

Which soundserver are you using, how is your system configured? What is selected as audio output in the renoise preferences, alsa or jack?

It’s normal for a realtime application to “grab” exclusive access to the soundcard, making it impossible to use for other applications.

Maybe you have renoise config’ed for jack, it’ll start the jackd sound server then when opening, but it won’t automatically kill it. You would see a jackd process running in the background then.

Can’t tell how it is messing with standard pulseaudio, though, I’m also running 14.04, but xubuntu with pulseaudio removed. I normally use jack for renoising.

I have Mint linux with no pulse audio. I use Cadence and other tools from KxStudio repos.
I experience the same problem that i dont remember with older version of Renoise and older version of Mate. To be precise: I cant remember to experience this 7 days ago but it is very common now (so some update can be responsible for it)…

But because i have Cadence it is no big problem for me, i can restart sound system just by one click and everything is right back.
So i recommend to use Cadence for restarting and setting your (jack) sound system.