Cobalt guitar strings

I’ve tried all kinds of different strings but after a while I stopped experimenting and just stuck with Ernie Ball Power Slinkies. Really like them. Anyways I noticed last time I bought strings that there’s apparently such a thing as cobalt strings now. What? The hell is that? Had to try it. So today was the day. Was just wondering if any of you had tried these before.

I can tell right away that I need cobalt bass strings in my life. The low end is very good. I also like the clean sound. Only the EAD strings are cobalted of course. So then I tried with distortion and…

it’s not bad but it’s very harsh and percussive sounding. I’m not too crazy about them to be honest, I think I like my normal strings better. I have to cut the low end really hard, it’s really overwhelming how loud the low end is. BUT, the sound of that low end is what makes me think I’d really like the bass strings.

Hmmm that sounds interesting, I’ve seen them referred to but hadn’t investigated so I thought that the cobalt was just another version of string-coating to prevent corrosion and prolong their use - didn’t realise it was done with enhanced tone and magnetism in mind.

I pretty much stick religously to D’Addario - XLs on my electrics and Phosphor Bronze on my acoustic but EB Slinky’s are normally a close second choice so I might give these a go.

Depends on your guitar / pick-up / amp set up too I guess - I play a Washburn N4 with a Bill Lawence L-500 in the bridge (Dimebag’s pick-up of choice) which has tons of cutting high-end and monster lows too so I’m pretty happy with the output and clarity from that.

Yeah after breaking them in a bit (didn’t take long) I can hear it now, it’s just a heavier harsher tone, maybe kind of djent oriented. Not bad, but not necessarily what every guitarist is looking for. They do sound good though. I’ll report back if i can get a hold of the bass strings.