Need your opinion

Hi all,

I recently bought Renoise and made a small song, more an experimental song, I personally like it but there’s something that bothers me, can you hear what I hear ?
I’ve always worked with Fasttracker 2 in the past and I really like Renoise.

http://soundcloud.com/andlinux/experimental

You don’t say what it is that bothers you, so I can’t say for sure. Maybe everything I hear is intentional.

It does sound a bit middy, and a bit noisy, but maybe you wanted a dirty, confused sound?

Perhaps if you were more specific?

Well tell us what exactly you mean? Is it something technical, or something musically that annoys you? I think this sounds quite cool right the way it is.

Few “unusual” things I’ve noticed:

The rhythm is quite a bit “irregular” style, i.e. not straight and not in perfect synchronisation. But this creates an effect we would entitle “schleppend” in german, and I actually like it. Also the chiparps stuff is not so perfect in sync, enhancing the effect of dissynchronisation quite a bit. I actually like this, sounds “humanized” in a certain way, unlike the usual very “straight” chiptune style songs, and has its own groove, like a reggae band higher than their manager could pay for, but experienced enough to keep the same feel to their result throughout the song.

The mixdown is somehow more concentrated on “upper low end” of spectrum with the kick and bass, giving a solid “punchy” feel to it, but also a bit dampened. Maybe you’d rather like it balanced a bit more?

It has some fancy “ringing” effect that seems to accompany the snares and kicks. Like some dampened highpitched “uuh”. I think it changes pitch in the sample you gave? It’s very suble, and makes a nice touch I think. Could only speculate where it comes from, artefacts in a sample, a filter/eq ringing somewhere, or added by intention?

I think the beats sounds weird, there’s too much going on without much flow to it. I’d suggest to rearrange the drums, the hihat is plain awful and the snare isn’t much better either. You should also have some rythmic and melodic progression on the bass to keep it more interesting. Only my opinion though. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate that.

I know that some people asked to tell me what bothers me with this song but if I’m telling it then I’m directing you in a way and I want a clean opinion if you know what I mean.

It’s indeed the rhythm that bothers me most of it and still if I listen to it then I like it but you notice it’s a little bit off at some times.

Like OopsIFly said “The rhythm is quite a bit “irregular” style”

The hihat isn’t good I know and others things too :slight_smile:

When I made this song, I first played with the “nano thinsquare” sound and that’s how I made my melody.

I liked it so much, so I continued from that melody but when I wanted to add some rhythm like a kick, snare etc. then I found out that I couldn’t use the pattern numbers like 0, 4, 8, etc. I hope that I clarified my point. :slight_smile:

So it’s not so strange if you have a rhythm that’s irregular ?

Hm, artistic freedom isn’t strange at all? Who told you in music/rhythms everything always has to be perfectly straight? It’s funny that you found this rhythm rather by accident then intentionally wanting it that way. I remember, as you’ve mentioned FTII, intentionally adding silence to the beginning of some drumhits to shift rhythms without having to rearrange notes in the whole song - after having once forgotten to trim off irregular trailing stuff from samples of a chopped up drumloop, and then having a real cool groove going on suddenly after swapping the drums instrument.

It’s a cool rhythm, it has some whacky feel to it together with the “uuh” stuff I mentioned, fitting that cartoon cow background image in soundcloud in theme somehow. It’d be the tune driving people insane in some computer game when they have to listen to it for too long because they don’t find a way to solve some riddle in a level. One thing I’d want to suggest is you rework the chip/arp thing a bit in terms of timing to match the schleppend drumhits in a better way - the drum’s have that delayed hits feel to it, but the chipsound arps are rather ahead, too fast, driving it into something giving a nervous impression that’s fighting the laid back groove too much.

I’ve had to spontanously think about stuff like certain older mouse on mars pieces, or some music in the old browser game samorost.

Of course as bellows said the snares/hats etc. are a bit weak and’d need some edge added somehow, but that would depend on the setting the song is made for. Also after all it’s just some short loop work in progress made for getting feedback on the groove, and not a full refined tune that you’ve already released.

Hm, artistic freedom isn’t strange at all? Who told you in music/rhythms everything always has to be perfectly straight?

Oh nobody :wink:

But if you make it that way you know it’s always alright.

One thing I’d want to suggest is you rework the chip/arp thing a bit in terms of timing to match the schleppend drumhits in a better way - the drum’s have that delayed hits feel to it, but the chipsound arps are rather ahead, too fast, driving it into something giving a nervous impression that’s fighting the laid back groove too much.

Of course as bellows said the snares/hats etc. are a bit weak and’d need some edge added somehow, but that would depend on the setting the song is made for. Also after all it’s just some short loop work in progress made for getting feedback on the groove, and not a full refined tune that you’ve already released.

I’m gonna try to make it better and make it in sync but it will be a hard task :wink:

I am the worst possible guy to ask about rhythms which feel weird.

I would never have considered those rhythms weird.

My only complaints, inasmuch as I have complaints at all, relate to the rather middy sound, but that could easily have been a deliberate choice.

Musically I think you’re on solid ground.

I guess if you like then it’s ok :slight_smile: