Rewire Renoise and Reason

Hi,

I am trying to configure Renoise as Master and Reason as slave using rewire mode. I found the following in an earlier post (https://forum.renoise.com/t/rewire-issue/34016):

• launch renoise and add a #ReWireinput device, click Device and select Reason

• reason launches asrewireslave

in reason:

• flip to the backside view of the rack, so you can manually route things
  • add a malstrom device
  • connect the DIRECT OUT from the malstrom mix device to two of the blue audio input channels (in the reason AUDIO I/O interface), for example pair 3 & 4
  • add a subtractor device
  • connect the DIRECT OUT from the subtractor mix device to two of the blue audio input channels (in the reason AUDIO I/O interface), for example pair 5 & 6

in renoise:

• on each track/channel you want to be able to mute, put dsp effects on, etc you add a #ReWireInput device first in the dsp chain
  • in each such #ReWireInput device you click into Channel and then select the reason channel stereo pair you want to use - for example if you want to control malstrom from the above config you select channels 3 & 4
  • in renoise’s instrument list/sample slots (the top right corner area), you select an empty slot and then go Instrument Settings -> Ext. MIDI and select the reason device you want to control from renoise in the Device list

The last step mentioned above is not working for me. I do not see “Ext. MIDI” in Instrument Settings. What could I have done wrong? I followed the other steps as explained.

Regards,

Rangarajan

Thank you.

Regards,

Rangarajan

Just to add in case anyone has the same problem I did: Renoise and Reason must be the same architecture (32bit/64bit) for ReWire to work. Probably obvious if you’ve used ReWire before, but it gave me a bit of trouble. I mismatched them and Renoise was still saying “Successfully launched ReWire slave”, but no devices were showing up in the midi output menu. Hope this helps someone.