Tips on midi keyboards and controlling parameters

Hi guys! I just registered my Renoise copy and im happy to be a part of this ongoing project taking me back to my childhood Amiga 500 tracking experience. I just lerned what an VST is and man does it make everything easier and more fun!

Now im thinknig about buying a midi keyboard. Im not really a live keyboardplayer but i could use it to take out melodies, record the rythm of the melodies and then adjust them and i also i think i neen knobs to be able to controll those cool acid parameters like cut off and resonance. My question is, will i be able to do that? How do i set up a midi keyboard to controll a certain parameter? Im thinkin of buying this one.
http://www.jam.se/synthpiano/midikeyboards/A84870-Arturia_Minilab/

We`ve all been there at some time or another! Yes definitiely get a keyboard, but I would recommend something with at least 5 octaves, so you can play with two hands and experience the full range of sounds on a synth.

Once you have the keyboard (and a midi input to your computer/soundcard) - renoise will recognise the incoming data. Assign the (CC) parameters in Renoise using thr midi map button. Midi learn with find the knob you want to assign if you turn it.

I would recommend something with at least 5 octaves, so you can play with two hands and experience the full range of sounds on a synth.

There is a huge difference in price. This one is quite cheap so i thought it would be good to start. I can still change the octavs with the + and - buttons right?

There is a huge difference in price. This one is quite cheap so i thought it would be good to start. I can still change the octavs with the + and - buttons right?

yes you can change octaves, arturia has very good software working together with their controllers, but 2 octave keyboard is pretty much useless IMO,because you allready have more than 2 octaves on your computer keyboard and also you can swich octaves with / and * buttons on numpad.

so if choose to use other vsts than arturia better buy 5octave keyboard, you can get new one in same price range as minilab

Really? I havent found any. :frowning:
The ones with 5 octaves and also controller knobs all cost like 3 times as much.

You could also hook up multiple devices to your computer, i.e. one little board with knobs, one with pressure/trigger pads, and one with a keybed and nothing more? In case your computer/usb bus can handle this.

I found it to be real fun to have an expression pedal going on. I’ve got a midi keyboard with an expression jack, and found a 20 year old but fully functional and compatible pedal in the basement recently. Expecially guitar players used to a wahwah will like this. Both hands free for doing stuff, but an extra modulation parameter available for your foot! It’s fun to play a bassline with the right hand and have aftertouch rrrang a tuned comb filter, use modwheel and pitchbend for synth’s parameter with the left, and control a vowel like filter with the foot. Like neuro bassline live playing…even if you don’t rock at live playing, you can explore possibilities of a sound setup freely jamming around with all the parms before you program the sounds into your tune :w00t:

In practice you can hook up almost any parameter to a knob, slider, pedal, xypad, pressure sensitive pads or aftertouch and go nuts. How well it’ll work depends on your liking. I.e. pressure pads can have the character of adding short rythmical bursts of not so exact modulations, while sliders are a bit sluggish, but very accurate and useful for fiddling with otherwise constant parameters of a patch.

Great tips! Thanks. Looking forward to trying it out. :slight_smile:

In my experience (limited because I can’t afford all the shiny toys) you can go a long way with pretty cheap stuff as long as you aren’t performing live.

Based on your questions, it sounds as if you’re composing in private rather than performing.

I got the KORG nano series - the nanokontrol2, the nanopad2 and the nanokey2. They all work, and actually work pretty well. I can use the nanokontrol for managing levels and automation, and the other two for step entry or noodling.

For a flexible note entry system, you could do a hell of a lot worse, for a hell of a lot more money.

On the other hand, if your mission is to go gigging - buy something else. That’s not what these tools are for.

Really? I havent found any. :frowning:
The ones with 5 octaves and also controller knobs all cost like 3 times as much.

I have a QuNexus I quite like. (http://www.keithmcmillen.com/products/qunexus/)

Upside: durable, pressure-sensitive,easy to change octaves, programmable (though I’ve not done anything with that).

Downside: Somewhat smaller keys than a standard keyboard. They’re not even keys as such, but pads.

I do have a full-size (88) keyboard. It’s a cheapie, no velocity values, kind of springy-feeling keys. The biggest problem for me is the size. It’s not practical for me to keep it out all the time, so it rarely gets used.

I’m not a proper keyboard layer (stringed things are more my thing) so the option to play two-handed is of little value right now. I find it so much better to grab the QuNexus and plug it in when I want work out a melody or add a lead.

you allready have more than 2 octaves on your computer keyboard and also you can swich octaves with / and * buttons on numpad.

No velocity, and unless you’ve got an NKRO keyboard you can’t really press too many keys without rollover dropping notes or ghosting :wink:

I’ve got an M-Audio Oxygen25 that works just fine for Renoise. The key-bed is light-weight and springy (cheeeeeeep), but it gives me two octaves and some knobs to map. Unless you plan on becoming a two-handed player either performing live or recording your performances in your studio, you don’t need more than two octaves. More is always better, but if all you’re doing is picking out melodies and bass lines, or holding down keys figuring out your chord progressions, two is enough.

Arturia is a good brand, but keep in mind that the MiniLab has very small keys. Try to find a local music dealer with a demo you can try out before buying, if possible. Even though I’m a lousy player I still like having full-sized keys to pound on.