My first corrupt Renoise song file... in 10 years! (Rewritten)

Well, I’ve been a Renoise user since 2005, and I’m proud to say I’ve never lost or corrupted a Renoise song file until today.

That said, I don’t even know how this file got corrupted. I don’t remember Renoise crashing or having issues saving the file. It’s been a few weeks since I worked on it, so I may just not be remembering straight.

Here is the file - http://www.brendanbailey.net/chip4.xrns. It is a Super Nintendo style chip song I had grown rather fond of and hope someone can help me recover it. I tried a few zip repair utilities with no luck, but I am a novice at such things.

For anyone searching, the error I get when loading is “File loading error: The file is either not a known song file or is corrupt.”

Appreciate any help I can get!

-Brendan

Update:

Well, a few months went by and I came to terms that this file was lost for good, so I finally decided to rewrite the entire track from scratch. I thought tracking down the SNES patches I had used was going to take a while, but I was able to somehow remember what games I had taken them from.

Anyway, here is the finished re-written track. It sounds almost 100% identical to what I had lost, except I had not written the last section before the file got corrupt:

http://brendanbailey.net/chip4.mp3

Hope the SNES C700 fans out there enjoy…

-Brendan

Unfortunately I’m the one to tell you this, but believe me no zip repair utility (or anything in the known universe for that matter) will bring a renoise song file back from that file you attached sir :frowning:

It isn’t a zip file at all. Quickly analysing the file I see parts of Adobe XMP metadata that possibly some mp3 player used? The contents of the file doesn’t really matter the point is is that there is no Song.xml nor sample data in that file to even begin to try and recover your song.

Sorry about that, real shame because I was looking forward to listening to your chip tune :slight_smile:

It seems pretty broken, the file signatureis missing. What happend? Corrupt hdd? Maybe the renoise devs can do something. Or try to repair it:

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/repair-damaged-or-corrupted-zip-archive/

Oh no backup? Maybe you should double-check the functionality of your hdd by writing large zips and reopening it (after cache flush). I once had a hard drive that started to corrupt files, very soon everything was corrupted.

A sad day indeed :frowning:

I’m usually diligent with making backups, but this one slipped through the cracks. As stated, I can’t really remember if Renoise had an issue shutting down when this happened. To my knowledge it did not. I’ve had Renoise crash hundreds of times in the past and not damage a file. This is definitely a first.

Luckily it was not massive project and I can recall the melody and harmonies pretty well. I should be able to re-compose it. Might be an interesting challenge in the end…

-Brendan

Well, a few months went by and I came to terms that this file was lost for good, so I finally decided to rewrite the entire track from scratch. I thought tracking down the SNES patches I had used was going to take a while, but I was able to somehow remember what games I had taken them from.

Anyway, here is the finished re-written track. It sounds almost 100% identical to what I had lost, except I had not written the last section before the file got corrupt:

http://brendanbailey.net/chip4.mp3

Hope the SNES C700 fans out there enjoy…

-Brendan

Ah, so that’s what it would’ve sounded like. I enjoyed your chippy tune, glad you managed to rebuild your lost file :slight_smile:

Hey btw. I would like to add my experiences with Renoise 3.01 (OSX) regarding stability: I had lot of crashes due unstable or beta vst plugins I tend to use, it was crashing while the composition (and then always makes a backup first before shutting down), or Renoise just suddenly disappeared or even crashed while saving(!!), after writing the file and before validating its contents. Even with the last described type of crash, I had never a corrupted song file on my drive. I also once had a computer shutdown while saving - saved song file was there :slight_smile: I think the devs already put a lot mechanisms into Renoise to ensure that the work won’t be lost.

Pinwizkid: I would suggest to you to enable the autosave feature, since something seems to be unstable in your system. Nice song, I like it. Dumb question: Is the mp3 above now your version or the original? Because it really sounds like from SNES sound engine :slight_smile: I would change the reverb a bit, for me it sounds a bit too much, especially on drums and bass.

Cool song, but i thought the exact same thing as Jurek that the reverb sounds a bit strange, apart from that it sounds very good. :slight_smile:

That mp3 is the rewritten file. I completely lost the original without having a backup or a render! That said, it now sounds almost exactly as it did before I lost it.

Funny you should notice the reverb - there’s actually no reverb on any of the tracks! The C700 (SNES vst plugin) has a built in delay effect that it seems 90% of the SNES patches have active. It’s a very distinct sounding delay that instantly adds that “Super Nintendo” flavor. Luckily, it is adjustable so perhaps I’ll lower the levels on the bass and drums.

Glad you guys like the tune!

Hey why not completely remove delay from kick and bass?