Win7 audio vs. Renoise audio

Hi,I am using the SPDIF output on my external soundcard to feed my Presonus Monitor Station.
Last night I wanted to calibrate the LED meters on the Monitor Station so that 0dB/red lights had a 1:1 relationship with 0dB coming from my soundcard, naturally.
However, to achieve this I have to set the general volume in Win7 (connected to the SPDIF driver) to about 50%, as the SPDIF output is way too hot for the Montor Station, and there is no other way I can reduce this volume on the unit or in any preferences.
This works ok - but whenever i open Renoise, I cannot any longer control the volume with the Windows “mixer”, not a single one of the outputs i Windows is showing any activity from the soundcard.
But this is only happening with Renoise, not with the other audio-based apps I run in Windows.

So is Renoise handling “audio-takeover” in a special way here, or is it just an ASIO issue?
I use the ASIO drivers from my soundcard.

Thanks Bellows, yeah I think you’re right. Tested some more and googled some more, and ASIO can’t be combined with volume controls in Windows it seems + it turns out to be a known flaw with my soundcard (MOTU Traveler) that SPDIF volume can’t be set manually.
So I just have to live with maxed out/red LED meters on the monitor station while working in Renoise, or start using jack outputs from my card instead of SPDIF. No biggie, I guess :slight_smile: