Renoise Sample Editor vs. Sound Forge

Hey,

I’ve been wondering if it’s worth getting Sound Forge nowadays. I like the sample editor in Renoise and I can get things done in there fast and efficiently, but how does it compare with Sound Forge for sampling/sound editing? Am I missing out on something? Does anybody here use it for that purpose?

Thanks in advance!

Back in ancient times I used to use soundforge heavily, making entire tracks in it (no sequencing/daw), eg

https://soundcloud.com/rvxi/ep3-track-3-really-old

Renoise comes tantilizingly close. A lot of the editing functions like fades, copy/paste, mix-paste, insert silence, normalize are there and can be done just as quickly as soundforge.

The missed opportunity (hopefully to be filled-in) is applying effects. A big part of my soundforge workflow was to select a region of a sound, picking an effect or effect chain, tweaking its params and repeating this in quick succession, doing tons of microedits on loops and samples. Destructive editing, sound-domain (vs. music data) workflow was pretty inspiring. Right now effects and parameters are tied to the track effects, which makes this workflow doable, but clunky and not-so-fluid. I’d like to see an option for applying effects in a one-off way without coupling them to track/instrument chains.

Back in ancient times I used to use soundforge heavily, making entire tracks in it (no sequencing/daw), eg

Renoise comes tantilizingly close. A lot of the editing functions like fades, copy/paste, mix-paste, insert silence, normalize are there and can be done just as quickly as soundforge.

The missed opportunity (hopefully to be filled-in) is applying effects. A big part of my soundforge workflow was to select a region of a sound, picking an effect or effect chain, tweaking its params and repeating this in quick succession, doing tons of microedits on loops and samples. Destructive editing, sound-domain (vs. music data) workflow was pretty inspiring. Right now effects and parameters are tied to the track effects, which makes this workflow doable, but clunky and not-so-fluid. I’d like to see an option for applying effects in a one-off way without coupling them to track/instrument chains.

Thanks for the reply!

Have you fully switched to Renoise? I take from this that despite the little inconvenience (which will hopefully solved at some point), there’s not really much of a point in getting Sound Forge anymore…

[edit: it is not free anymore it seems]

If you wanna try a free alternative, I just saw Ardour is out in version 4, looks nice:

http://ardour.org/

Same here , I used soundforge back in the days when it was still owned by 'sonic foundry ’ , iow before being bought out by sony .

But in no way renoise sample ed. comes close to soundforge , applying curves to insert effects etc…sure you can mimic the behaviour by rendering sample to selection+automation but …it’s not the same .

imho I think all audio editors are way overpriced …unless you’re a true pro and need some serious editing to be done , or you can go for the cut down version

A verry good freeware editor is wavosaur .

http://www.wavosaur.com/

If you’re on a mac, TwistedWave is an amazing audio editor. I like navigating in it better than Renoise… although maybe I just need to learn the shortcuts for navigating Renoise’s sample editor!

TW also has iOS versions, and even an online version. I haven’t tried either of them out.

As much as I complain about Renoise being slow to save when I have lots of samples… I love that once a sample is in Renoise, it’s “safe” from harm on my hard disk. Renoise has its own version and I can do whatever I want with it… and I can always bring the original sample back in if I need it.

Anyway, the Renoise sample editor is really powerful. You can definitely get by with just it. If you’re interested in a standalone editor… I’d suggest getting the demo to see how it works for you, and if it gives you anything extra.

you could also have a multi tracker online www.soundation.com