Photo

Eurorack modular synthesizer with renoise?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 a773

a773

Big Super Masta Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 08:16

Hi

I recently started to get into eurorack modular synthesizers. For a few projects, I've used it together with renoise, by routing midi to the euro and audio back in to renoise.

Other eurorack users here? Any special tips or inspirational usages? Do we need a tool?

• Psynapsex likes this

#2 Psynapsex

Psynapsex

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Interests:Synthesis, Electronics, & Day Trading (I'm a noob)

I'm a big fan of Venetian Snares, Psykovsky, Richard Devine, and The Advent.

I've been using Reaktor 5 since 2008, and love the thought of a real analog modular synth.

Posted 02 May 2015 - 19:03

I'm very interested in Euro rack synths though affording 1 is not yet a possibility. I have been messing with Reaktor 5 since 2008, not sure if your familiar with it but I have just recently build a sequencer like Rene and Trigger Riot on LSD, make connections via IC and viola virtual spagetti, but not nearly as cool as the real thing... Hope that some day I'll be able to merge Reaktor 5 and a modular togethor with an IO interface of somekind. 

What kind of rack/modules do you own? Do you have any syncing issues or anything like that?

#3 a773

a773

Big Super Masta Member

• Normal Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 21:25

This is my current modular https://www.modularg...cks/view/142922 still building...

After some initial overwhelmed disarray, I decided to 1) leave sequencing for later (do sequencing from the computer) and 2) try to avoid to replicate what I can already do with softsynths.

It syncs really tight with renoise, no problem at all.

• Psynapsex likes this

#4 Dan P

Dan P

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 16:30

I'm thinking seriously of starting with euro rack modular. Specifically I'm looking at starting with Braids as a versatile sound source. How are you getting on with Braids?
Dan

#5 a773

a773

Big Super Masta Member

• Normal Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 17:07

Well actually not too well. Thought about selling it, but I'm keeping it for now.

Too few modulation options and too less one-button-per-function (or too much menu diving) is a general problem with mutable instruments in my opinion. Obviously they sound great and lot of people love them, so far I just get along better with other brands.

#6 Psynapsex

Psynapsex

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Interests:Synthesis, Electronics, & Day Trading (I'm a noob)

I'm a big fan of Venetian Snares, Psykovsky, Richard Devine, and The Advent.

I've been using Reaktor 5 since 2008, and love the thought of a real analog modular synth.

Posted 15 May 2015 - 19:01

I'm really interested to know how the long term value of these new digital/analog modules will compare to the all analog modules...

I'm guessing not too well since a piece of fuzz or static electricity can render digital useless...

Edited by Psynapsex, 15 May 2015 - 19:03.

#7 midi error

midi error

Guruh Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 19:43

Not a euroracker myself (yet) but you may be interested in this...

http://www.thonk.co....cale-281-panel/

#8 a773

a773

Big Super Masta Member

• Normal Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 22:44

Yeah looking really tempting.

However I already spend too much this month. Besides I have a plan and I should try to stick with it. But tempting...

#9 oneunkind

oneunkind

Big Daddy Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:the next space age

Posted 17 May 2015 - 14:47

Anything you can use to make samples with is invaluable. if you work in that way.

• pat likes this

"...sounds... but, not music..."

#10 niNja_pWn3d

niNja_pWn3d

Big GrandDaddy Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Interests:..:: My kids - Music - Production - Promotion - 8bit - amen - Hax0r ::..

Posted 30 August 2016 - 03:40

Modular user for about 1 1/2 - 2 years now.. Mutable Instruments is in my setup by choice, and there's NO looking back. I get your desire to have no 'menu diving' but the next level abilities is definitely for the wiggler on a budget and/or hacker/ experiment minded individual as well. And it's really not a lot of all Mutable Instruments gear.. Other then Braids and Clouds these are the only firmware alloted devices no?

I have found bliss in this format and it's brought interfacing back to my interaction with music production and the desire to understand audio in a spectrum that isn't so academic but allows room for creativity as the control. Don't get me wrong, it's a science and can be taught and broken down but it's far better to let the music teach you ;)

Any more ideas with Renoise and modular PLEASE! I'm interested!!
Youtube!
Soundcloud!

"The magnitude of pleasure reaches its limit in the removal of all pain. When such pleasure is present, so long as it is uninterrupted, there is no pain either of body or of mind or of both together." -Epicurus

#11 freddryer

freddryer

Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 11:43

Ive been using Renoise mainly as a simple 1 channel sequencer sending gates and cv using korg sq1 as a midi to cv converter. It works great,not really that advanced but i do have loads of short sequences i can use with my eurorack!

#12 niNja_pWn3d

niNja_pWn3d

Big GrandDaddy Member

• Normal Members
  • 455 posts
  • Interests:..:: My kids - Music - Production - Promotion - 8bit - amen - Hax0r ::..

Posted 02 September 2016 - 20:55

Hey I also wanted to let you guys know about a module by 'expert sleepers' that will allow renoise and modular to coexist. It's worth the investment if your using these two together. The possibilities are endless.
Youtube!
Soundcloud!

"The magnitude of pleasure reaches its limit in the removal of all pain. When such pleasure is present, so long as it is uninterrupted, there is no pain either of body or of mind or of both together." -Epicurus

#13 oneunkind

oneunkind

Big Daddy Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:the next space age

Posted 03 September 2016 - 04:35

If you are too cheap or broke or ghetto whatever for the 'expert sleepers' stuff, an envelope follower (A-119 or something like it) or the esp section of an ms-20 can do pretty well, too.  Just modulate the volume of some noise/tone on a channel going to an unused output on your sound card, no worries about ac coupling and stuff. You know, for synced modulations, envelope firing and such fun stuff.

(yeah, maybe it's not as good but it's still good)

Edited by oneunkind, 03 September 2016 - 04:37.

"...sounds... but, not music..."

#14 niNja_pWn3d

niNja_pWn3d

Big GrandDaddy Member

• Normal Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 21:25

NerdSeq is something to look into! 800$ but brings trackers to the Euro.. Along with TONS of monster weight!

Braids, BTW is TIGHT! ive recently added QuBit's Nebulae ;) thats a treat! I REALLY want the tele-type by monome.. ugh!

Youtube!
Soundcloud!