[solved] Some samples play late the first time they sound

Sometimes (not always), during the first play of a track I have just loaded, a triggered sample will start playing late, or only play the 2nd time it is triggered. It’s as if the sample was called to load just before it was played and didn’t quite make it in time. Once I play through the track and all the elements have played at least once, I have no further problems.

I had never noticed any such dropouts when I rendered a track, but yesterday I got this problem in a render - one of the samples didn’t play the first time it should have. It’s probably because it was one of those rare times where I rendered directly after opening the track without playing it first.

I don’t know how things work under the hood, but the effect of it seems like samples are loaded into RAM just before they are played the 1st time. I can see how you don’t want to load all available samples in all instruments as some may not be used, but maybe some extra lookahead or something could help?

I’m pretty sure all samples are loaded into RAM…

are you using rewire? that’s a common thing, where the first line gets “skipped” because of latency

I’m pretty sure all samples are loaded into RAM…

are you using rewire? that’s a common thing, where the first line gets “skipped” because of latency

I’m not using rewire, but I am using the reaper ASIO reroute for output. Though as this happened with a render to file also, I don’t think it’s what’s causing it.

Maybe you’ve enabled the “hold” switch for the instrument by accident? Last button here:

5614 3.0_instruments-properties.png

Maybe you’ve enabled the “hold” switch for the instrument by accident? Last button here:

attachicon.gif3.0_instruments-properties.png

I checked the hold button but that wasn’t it.

After experimented to try and nail it down, I have found the problem: the “problem” notes were events without any instrument number, so the track only kicked in properly once it saw events with instrument#. Any subsequent events with blank instrument# were ok, but those first ones can be a problem.

Going forward I will make sure to put instrument numbers in the first events on a track.

Ah, yes. It will then use the track’s last played instrument, which of course only works when something played on the track before.

Those are “ghost instruments” btw, and do not retrigger envelopes. Seehttp://www.renoise.com/blog/ghostnotes