Intruments

Feel a bit lame to ask this, but I can’t find a reason for this strange phenomenon

I’m just using Renoise 3.0.1 and for the first time I’m playing around with the Preset Intruments that come with the tracker.

With one of the drumkits (RN-808 GMkit) I’ve done a pattern, but the sounds seem to mute each other when they are programmed on different channels.

E.g if I do all the drumming on one track everything seems fine, but if I layer them on 5 tracks and track 5 has a hihat on every 1/4 it will mute all the other sounds on track 1-4 and i don’t get it why so. mute group is of btw. and i haven’t done any changes on the instrument itself from its original state.

If there is an effects chain in the instrument, not on the track but in the .xrni, then this will happen. The RN-808 GMkit has a lot of effects in the .xrni, so if that’s the on you’re using that explains it.

If there is an effects chain in the instrument, not on the track but in the .xrni, then this will happen. The RN-808 GMkit has a lot of effects in the .xrni, so if that’s the on you’re using that explains it.

The solution is to either use the whole kit in the same track, load multiple instances of the instrument, one for kicks, one for snares or whatever, or make all your drum beats in phrases.

I like to use the phrase method, but then i’m not able to use, let’s say a kick for ducking or similar, so then i load another instance just for those kicks. :slight_smile:

Will have a look at the phrase section, didn’t really use it yet.

Thanks for the hints.

Now that I know how to fix this I’m still wondering what is the reason for this.

the program gets more and more complex wow.

It’s because the DSP chains aren’t polyphonic, the signals can only be processed once, resulting in audio in one track at the time. Why? I don’t really no why, all i can say is that last version didn’t even allow us to use DSPs in instruments, so who knows what will come in the future. Meanwhile, make some music and don’t worry about it more than accepting that this is how it is at the moment. :smiley:

It’s because the DSP chains aren’t polyphonic, the signals can only be processed once, resulting in audio in one track at the time. Why? I don’t really no why, all i can say is that last version didn’t even allow us to use DSPs in instruments, so who knows what will come in the future. Meanwhile, make some music and don’t worry about it more than accepting that this is how it is at the moment. :smiley:

Yep. This comes up A LOT. It’s important to remember that this limitation is a limitation in a brand new feature. The previous version of Renoise wasn’t better in this respect - it didn’t even have this feature!

Who knows what the future will hold, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the next step is to get multi-channel output like you can do with plugin instruments right now.

If you don’t wish to use the instrument effects chains, there’s no reason to have them, you then will be able to use it in separate tracks. This will also give you the benefit of easily automating any parameter and show parameters in the mixer.

Use the instrument effects chains if you want to processa sample, for example, in several neatly organised effects chains without invoking send tracks (which has some meta devicelatency benefits as well (tracks in renoise are rendered left to right)). You can automate the track you’re sending too, you know.

I suggest you only bind macros to things you intend to automate, that should give you almost plenty of automation opportunities, alternatively you can midi-bind any parameter in the instrument in the current song, then automate/record that midi parameter.

There’s also a way to indirectly have automation in the phrases if you want to use, but that’s a different subject.