Getting a "warmer", "gritier" more analogue sound in r

Having produced more commercial sounding stuff in the past, I found I’ve been trying to get a clean sound as possible when processing my sounds. Now I’m finding I’m trying to unlearn all of that as my tastes have started to change and I’m trying tog get more organic old school sounding tracks. This is sort of sound which I’m absolutely in love with.

Obviously a lot of the sound is sampling from vinyl which I’ve started getting into and is great fun! Also using more breaks for drums etc.

Problem is these guys are often using MPCs or SP1200s which I think gives their tracks a bit of oomph already. In renoise I use a lot of the Lo Fi Mat just to crunch things up in a subtle way, as well as the distortion (usually on shape). I used to use a few of the variety of sound plugins but I’m now on mac so would either like some alternatives or (even better) do it it all in renoise!

I’m probably being naive and its all in the composition and sample selection but would love to have a discussion on this sort of thing anyway if people are interested!

The exciter dsp can add some nice grit to a track, esp if using an LP on top to cut back some of the high frequency content.

That’s great actually! Haven’t used it too much as it’s one of the newer dsps but I’m liking what it can do! No too in your face. At the moment I’m using the lo fi mat on 12 bit with the rate on max to avoid that obvious bit crunching sound and the exciter afterwards followed by eq.

Some of those samples are taken from vinyl records, I`m sure. One way to beef up a break is to run it through a sampler if you have one.

Recording stuff to tape with relatively high gain is a nice technique for adding a bit of dirt and compressed warmth, too.

agreed, the best way to get an analog sound is to sample analog audio and processes.

i’d add something like a korg monotribe to the list of suggestions, it’s dirt cheap, tiny, sounds great driven and the filter is very lively.

I wouldn’t be surprised if that Max Graef track was mixed digitally to be honest. there is a lot of filtering going on, sounds quite compressed too, high ratio quick release compression gets you that soft pumpy sound.

agreed, the best way to get an analog sound is to sample analog audio and processes.

i’d add something like a korg monotribe to the list of suggestions, it’s dirt cheap, tiny, sounds great driven and the filter is very lively.

Thats quite a good idea actually, would probably use it for sneding out my samples and playing with the filter. Anyone have reccomendations of hard ware filters I could have a play with? Seen the moogerfooger but a little out my price range…

What about a cheap desktop tube preamp like:

http://www.amazon.com/Bravo-Audio-V2-Multi-Hybrid-Headphone/dp/B00ADR2DTG