Techniques for creating instruments from multisamples?

I’ve been trying to create some sampler instruments lately with multisamples and I find the process to be incredibly awkward and slow in renoise. Lack of options for distributing samples in the keyzone, inability to set root note or keyzone from either sample pitch or sample name, everything about it and the workflow takes forever. I had some good tips on making the process quicker from gova on the irc channel but I still find it takes quite a long time.

I remember using Reason to do the same thing years and years ago and I seem to remember it being quite a quick process - perhaps it wasn’t perfect and sometimes needed some corrections but most of the time you could set up a basic patch in less than a minute.

So basically I’m wondering if there any particular ways of working that people use to make this quicker or easier, how do you go about create an instrument from a bunch of multisamples?

when using samples identical in keyrange and/or velocity layers, select all>set to keyrange>move the last samples’ keyrange 1 by 1 via click and drag one after the other, then shift the keyrange in place is as fast all you’ll get ( which is really fast really) for 16 samples it doesn’t take me more than 30 seconds after the samples have been loaded

but like I said, check the tools and the tools forum maybe someone already made what you want, alternatively, wait for redux

When dragging multiple samples from the disk browser, the following is possible:
keyzone-assignment.gif?raw=1

Briefly mentioned in the manual, but also easily overlooked!

The resulting keyzone mappings are only 100% correct when samples have equal number of semitones between them,
but it’s still a very useful (and I think, not very well known) technique…

2 Likes

danoise that’s a big help thanks, even just dragging each individual sample in like that is quicker to assign the root note and keyzone than any other way I’ve found.

I would expect setting the root note by file name to be scriptable… and then setting the zone map to fill in the blanks wouldn’t be that hard either. I haven’t looked at the documentation for these functions specifically though.