working with many samples, loading/saving takes ages

Hi.

Saving presets with many large samples in Redux takes ages - like it does in Renoise.

I hoped this behaviour wouldn’t occur in Redux So now the workflow is still interrupted while waiting for the auto-backup-save-process-thingy to be completed.

Any ideas how to work around this? I didn’t find any in Renoise.

samples are all contained in the instrument, this has pro’s & cons. Maybe in the future it will be optional to have sounds referenced only in the instrument file instead of packed, which would speed up loading.

I think in Renoise you can choose whether or not instruments are compressed to .flac, turning this off will skip the packing and extracting bit, which might save a few milliseconds? :wink: Can’t find such option in redux though.

samples are all contained in the instrument, this has pro’s & cons. Maybe in the future it will be optional to have sounds referenced only in the instrument file instead of packed, which would speed up loading.

I think in Renoise you can choose whether or not instruments are compressed to .flac, turning this off will skip the packing and extracting bit, which might save a few milliseconds? :wink: Can’t find such option in redux though.

Don’t know if I can even find the thread now, but I tried turning that off in Renoise and it made no noticeable difference at all. Using a SSD helps some, but the real time waster is waiting for it to unzip and rezip.

At least now if we have a large .xrni we can load it with Redux instead of directly through Renoise and you can save that time when saving your song project. I hope, though, somehow this functionality comes to Renoise without having to use Redux.