Assigning keys in the Preferences

It’s a mess trying to map keys on a MacBook Pro.

First of all the F-keys isn’t that handy on a Mac since you have to press the fn key first, and there is only one such a key farest to the left which makes it hard to accomplish everytime I try to use it. I know this is a “PC-remnant”, but no program on Mac have these as main-navigation points as far as I know.

Moreover, I never use the ordinary number-keys (1, 2, 3 and so on) in composing which are affixed to “Pattern input” and these doesn’t seems to be re-mappable at all?

I tried to work that around by mapping theCMD and Alt[option] keys located at the right side of the spacebar, but then a very weird problem occurs.First it seems to identify these as Command/Option+(whatever key I choose) as expected but immediately when I let the keys go they switches back to “Rcontrol” and “Ralt” and the key I chose is gone. However it says “Pattern input” with these as well, so perhaps that’s the problem once again. The keys on the left side works though, but it would be great to have the right ones for other commands.

Last but not least, to be able to switch between next and previous tab (Phrases Editor and so on) would be awesome, since that’s a normal behaviour in other programs (ALT + CMD + Left/Right). But these options doesn’t exists either, and I would actually prefer this over being able to directly select a tab.

Not sure what solutions there may be, but to me right now it feels like there are some waste of key-mapping prerequisitions.

Edit: Ok, I use the numbers for entering values but could still be great to use short-commands with combinations of the right sided modifier-keys.

Hey Chris, I’m on Windows but just wanted to chime in for some extra thoughts…

First of all the F-keys isn’t that handy on a Mac since you have to press the fn key first, and there is only one such a key farest to the left which makes it hard to accomplish everytime I try to use it. I know this is a “PC-remnant”, but no program on Mac have these as main-navigation points as far as I know.

I’d say this is more about using a notebook where you need to use FN keys to access F1, F2 etc… It’s the same thing on Windows notebooks and I personally feel this is the way it should be. But I’m pretty sure you can “swap” the FN functionality on a Macbook meaning you can use the F-keys as they are and access the other laptop-ish functions using the extra FN key.

Moreover, I never use the ordinary number-keys (1, 2, 3 and so on) in composing which are affixed to “Pattern input” and these doesn’t seems to be re-mappable at all?

Some of those keys are used as black keys in the upper range keyboard (2, 3, 5, 6, 7) etc. I’m quite fond of them myself :smiley:

I tried to work that around by mapping theCMD and Alt[option] keys located at the right side of the spacebar, but then a very weird problem occurs.First it seems to identify these as Command/Option+(whatever key I choose) as expected but immediately when I let the keys go they switches back to “Rcontrol” and “Ralt” and the key I chose is gone. However it says “Pattern input” with these as well, so perhaps that’s the problem once again. The keys on the left side works though, but it would be great to have the right ones for other commands.

Not sure I got this correctly but IIRC there was an option in the prefs to use the right modifier keys as standard binds. Perhaps that would help?

Last but not least, to be able to switch between next and previous tab (Phrases Editor and so on) would be awesome, since that’s a normal behaviour in other programs (ALT + CMD + Left/Right). But these options doesn’t exists either, and I would actually prefer this over being able to directly select a tab.

Maybe there’s a tool for this. Or a possibility of one. Nvm forgot this is Redux.

Accidental post.

Hey Chris, I’m on Windows but just wanted to chime in for some extra thoughts…

1. I’d say this is more about using a notebook where you need to use FN keys to access F1, F2 etc… It’s the same thing on Windows notebooks and I personally feel this is the way it should be. But I’m pretty sure you can “swap” the FN functionality on a Macbook meaning you can use the F-keys as they are and access the other laptop-ish functions using the extra FN key.

2. Some of those keys are used as black keys in the upper range keyboard (2, 3, 5, 6, 7) etc. I’m quite fond of them myself :smiley:

3. Not sure I got this correctly but IIRC there was an option in the prefs to use the right modifier keys as standard binds. Perhaps that would help?

4. Maybe there’s a tool for this. Or a possibility of one. Nvm forgot this is Redux.

Hi emre_k and thanks for taking the time on this!

1. I prefer using the F-keys as they are now,for instance I find myself quite often adjusting the brightness (F1 and F2). Also, my point was that I’ve never used a program on Mac which have the F-keys as main-navigation which brought me to the other points.

2. Yes I know. Personally I don’t use these in composing but on the other hand they’re needed upon changing values. I’d prefer this taking affect only when edit-mode is on/adjust a number-value in DSP-Effects/etc, and having these as shortcuts in other cases. I guess this is more of a suggestion than a help though.

3. Thank you very much! I could’ve never have guessed the solution was so simple by just changing from Assignable keys to Modifiers only. :slight_smile: That explains the weirdness with the default alternative, since I wasn’t able to bind those to other keys. I guess the first alternative is when you just want to use these keys as independent ones then. Speaking of that, these keys doesn’t do anything in Redux at all to begin with, while in Renoise they play current song/pattern, and that’s a bit of a waste since I guess many uses the space-bar (at least me) for the play-action anyway.

4. I still really miss to switch between the tabs, instead of searching for a certain button for a certain tab all the time.

Developers: Could the ”Next/Previous Tab” be implemented? :slight_smile: