How many of you have a website for your music?

How many of you have a website for your own music? Is the idea becoming obsolete?

I’ve traditionally linked to my Soundcloud page. But lately I’ve been toying with the idea of making a website with a catalog of all my releases. Not that I expect many people to visit it… It will be more for the occasional curious visitor, and also for myself to have a more measurable progress meter to say “Yes, this is what I have accomplished in all these years”.

What do you think? Am I wasting my time?

I think ultimately, the website will be for -me-, so creating it will need to be intrinsically valuable.

I’ve had assorted Web sites for years. https://neurogami.com is not exclusively for music but the main page lists the key tracks I’ve released.

http://music.neurogami.com is actually a Bandcamp site but I get to use my own domain (got grandfathered in to what is now for-pay option).

Having your own site at least lets you have whatever accompanying text you want,have some say about the look and feel in the presentation.

I still post music to Soundcloud and MySpace and ReverbNation and anyplace else where it can get some attention, but I will always want my own domain because those sites can be fickle.

I’m in the same situation; I don’t have a website but I want to make one eventually, for mostly the same reasons. I don’t think it’s a waste of time, bandcamp and soundcloud don’t offer a lot of customization, so having a websites opens some different possibilities. Personally, I’m working on things aside from music, and it might be nice to have everything in one place.

I’ve been thinking about making my own site for years, but i haven’t managed to pull my finger out of my ass yet.

I’ve recently been messing around with a website using Wordpress. Doesn’t make a huge difference on it’s own so far but having it as a central hub for keeping track of whatever you are doing seems like a good idea to me. Besides every social media platform seems to go shite eventually so I suppose it makes sense to have a safe haven where you can fall back if need be.

It makes sense for me, since I can collect my music, photography and video work in one place. Plus, I can provide easy access to streaming music, viewing artwork, downloading both and links to bandcamp all on the same release page.

I need to redesign the site though, and make it so that it adapts itself to the full screen size of whatever you’re viewing it on.

It makes sense for me, since I can collect my music, photography and video work in one place. Plus, I can provide easy access to streaming music, viewing artwork, downloading both and links to bandcamp all on the same release page.

I need to redesign the site though, and make it so that it adapts itself to the full screen size of whatever you’re viewing it on.

I like your site, what did you use to make it?

It’s built on Wordpress, but the only thing I use that for is the ease of posting on the news page. The site is hand-coded otherwise.

Like a lot of others here, I plan on making one. (Actually I already have one on localhost.) But TBH up to now I don’t think I have enough material I’m not feeling ashamed of. Most of the time I think my stuff is total crap and most of it I don’t even bother to upload on soundcloud.

f+d+k: No reason to ever be ashamed of your music! Perhaps it wasn’t all intended for public consumption. There is nothing wrong with that.

Last week I created a database with a definitive list of all my finished songs, unfinished songs, demos/misc, and live recordings.

Around the day I posted this thread, I started building the website with the intention of putting all the finished songs on the site. Then partway through, I realized that it doesn’t make sense to put them all on the site, since some of them were just “jokes”, or intended for a specific person, or whatever.

But I’m trying to put as much on the site as I can.

Here’s a challenge to all of you who have been toying with the idea of making a website:

Let’s just do it! The site doesn’t even have to be beautiful. I took my inspiration from my friend Nil Geisweiller’s site.

I would link you to mine but it’s not finished yet. Here’s a work in progress preview though:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzdt-l1mY0e_T1hDZWlGeEozbjQ/view?usp=sharing

I guess mine is easy to make because of the simplistic design :slight_smile:

But here’s my challenge: If you finally make your website too, I will listen to and give feedback on a bunch of your songs. :slight_smile:

This thread has made me want to get a website going, never really been bothered about one but would be nice to put everything up in one place, even if loads of it is crap. I don’t know anything about web design though so probably isn’t something I’ll ever get around to doing.

Just do it. It doesn’t have to be perfect. Have you ever seen a “perfect” music website? They get “obsolete” so fast, who even cares? I’m using altervista which has a WYSIWYG editor. You can insert snippets of HTML too. It’s really easy.

I have a page on my website dedicated to my music. My website is more for my graphic design portfolio, but I wanted to have my music “portfolio” on there as well:

http://www.brendanbailey.net/site/music/

I have been brainstorming about creating a new site dedicated only to music, but want to put the focus on chiptune / 8bit / 16bit video game style music. I have to create some more tracks first…

It’s built on Wordpress, but the only thing I use that for is the ease of posting on the news page. The site is hand-coded otherwise.

Ah, coding is not my specialty, so i need to use dreamveawer or something.

Ah, coding is not my specialty, so i need to use dreamveawer or something.

Same for me. I like Wordpress as you can have any kind of functionality using plugins…

I finished my site:

http://organicio.altervista.org/

It’s nothing amazing, but at least it’s got all my stuff in one place. I’m happy with it :slight_smile:

I finished my site:

It’s nothing amazing, but at least it’s got all my stuff in one place. I’m happy with it :slight_smile:

Quite informative and a nice, clean structure I would say!

However I personally miss a mp3 html5 preview player, maybe one that is permanently as fixed layer available, in which you can quickly switch the songs in a drop down menu, or at least some preview play button for each song. I think there a lot of good ones available as plugin for jquery.

If you want the visitors to download the mp3s on left mouse click, you should change the web server mime type for .mp3 to “application/download” or something (here on mac the html5 mp3 will be started).

Links to the productions / contests where the songs were used, would be interesting, too…

Also sorting the table would be interesting, like sorting by genre, creation date, length etc.

I finished my site:

I think it looks a bit anonymous, but great content! Amazing first track i must say, hmm what was i doing in 1998?

If you want the visitors to download the mp3s on left mouse click, you should change the web server mime type for .mp3 to “application/download” or something (here on mac the html5 mp3 will be started).

Thanks for the feedback! I was wondering how to do this.

Which do you think is preferred? Download, or mp3 player started? It seems nice to start the player as kind of a preview, and then if the person wants to download it, they can go back and right click → save as.

I think it looks a bit anonymous, but great content! Amazing first track i must say, hmm what was i doing in 1998?

Anonymous, lol. I don’t think I would say my first track is “amazing”, but I appreciate it.

Thanks for the feedback! I was wondering how to do this.

Which do you think is preferred? Download, or mp3 player started? It seems nice to start the player as kind of a preview, and then if the person wants to download it, they can go back and right click → save as.

Anonymous, lol. I don’t think I would say my first track is “amazing”, but I appreciate it.

For a first song ever created and considering it’s done on ST3, i think it’s very good, my first ST3 track wasn’t half as good.

By anonymous i just meant that it didn’t stand out with lots of design features and graphics, it’s clean and tidy though, it’s much better with a neutral design and great content instead of awesome design and poor content.