4 replies to this topic

#1 spktkpkt

spktkpkt

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 11:41

ATM, i'm trying to build a Duplex device template for the Novation Launch Control XL, which will take me some time because it's my first try and i don't have any knowlegde about Duplex or Lua...but I 'm making progress.

After i've done the Launch Control device template, i would like to extend it to also support a Launchpad within this device template...something like a combined template for the Launch Control and a Launchpad. As far as i can see, Duplex only supports one device at a time...is this true? Is it possible at all to build a device template which can handle both devices? Or to start two instances of Duplex with different device templates?

#2 danoise

danoise

Probably More God or Borg Than Human Member

• Renoise Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6169 posts
  • Interests:wildlife + urban trekking

Posted 24 June 2015 - 16:04

As far as i can see, Duplex only supports one device at a time...

Not so. It might seem like it, since the Duplex browser only shows one device configuration at a time. A bit like a web browser showing one tab only. 

But that doesn't mean the other ones are not running (look for the text "running" among the list of devices to see which ones are active at any given time). 

So, if you had connected your Launchpad, you would be able to use that, and any number of other controllers at the same time.  

It's possible to connect multiple controllers of the same type as well by copying the device configuration and assigning a new device name. 

Or to start two instances of Duplex with different device templates?

This is actually built in. You just select "autostart" for any device configuration, and it will automatically start when Renoise is launched. 

So you would just enable this for any device(s) that you might want to be always running. 

Tracking with Stuff. API wishlist | Soundcloud

#3 spktkpkt

spktkpkt

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 17:56

I see, great. Thank you for the explanation.

EDIT: But is it also possible to display the Duplex Browser twice? I would like to have both running devices to show up at the same time and not to have to switch between them. :)

Edited by spktkpkt, 24 June 2015 - 18:27.

#4 danoise

danoise

Probably More God or Borg Than Human Member

• Renoise Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6169 posts
  • Interests:wildlife + urban trekking

Posted 24 June 2015 - 18:42

No, that isn't possible.
Since the physical controller is right in front of you, what would be the advantage?

Tracking with Stuff. API wishlist | Soundcloud

#5 spktkpkt

spktkpkt

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 20:03

Since the physical controller is right in front of you, what would be the advantage?

Visual feedback on the screen. Also, sometimes i don't have the controllers connected. But yeah, it's not a big deal, i can live without it.

I have some other questions.  :blush:

I've created another Duplex application, based on the Hydra application, called "Send". ATM, it works like the Hydra application, but for the "Amount" of a Send device. I'm trying to figure out how to:
  • create mappings to different ( two would be fine for now ) Sends ( lets call them Send_A and Send_B ) per Track ( ATM it always maps to the last inserted Send device independently of the Track on which the device was added ) and map a knob for the Amount slider, like:
    [s]O = encoder/knob mapped to Amount slider of Send device

O 1st Send device on 1st Track O 1st Send device on 2nd Track O 1st Send device on 3rd Track O...
    O 2nd Send device on 1st Track O 2nd Send device on 2nd Track O 3rd Send device on 3rd Track O...
    [/s]
  • check if something is true ( has the first Track a Send device on it ) and set the state of something else ( turn a LED on )
Please check the picture of the Launch Control, i'm sure you'll guess what i would like to translate. :)

novation-launch-control-xl_01xxl.jpg

Thank you for all the hints and help.

EDIT: I'm making progress. I guess it will take me little, but i'm sure i can do it. Thanks for not helping me, really...learning by trial and error isn't bad sometimes. :D

EDIT: I forgot to mention. The "take_over_volumes" doesn't seem to work for me. I've set it to "2", which should mean "Enabled", but the faders are still "jumping" and don't wait until i've reached the value with the physical fader. Works now.

Edited by spktkpkt, 26 June 2015 - 21:22.