Recording MIDI input only doesn't record note offs

Brief description:

Recording MIDI input only without an instrument doesn’t record note-offs.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create a new instrument (“Insert” in the instrument list)

2. Go to the MIDI tab

3. Pick a MIDI input device

4. Start playing song (MIDI keyboard, or even the computer keyboard), record notes to the channel

Expected results:

Both notes and note-offs should be recorded.

Actual results:

Only notes are recorded.

Workaround:

Create an empty sample in the sample-tab of the instrument.

System:

Renoise 3.0.1, Xubuntu 14.04, Kawai digital piano (as a standard MIDI-through-USB controller - though the problem is there with just the computer keyboard too).

thread should be renamed to ‘…MIDI input only…’

I understand what you’re doing, you’re passing midi from an external synth while listening to it externally, so you just want to record the result in renoise, yes just use 1 sample in the instrument or make it send midi.

Note-Offs are only written down to the pattern when there actually is something to stop. Try it with for example short samples. We’re doing this to keep the patterns clean from unnecessary events.

When there no instrument playing, there also is nothing play. Is this a real problem or did you just wondered why it’s doing this?

Well, that makes sense. I was actually stuck with this for a while.

My actual use-case: I want to record MIDI from the digital piano (sound comes from the piano itself while I play), then I adjust the notes in the tracker, and then I record the piano with the edited MIDI data. In the first part, I don’t have MIDI output set in the instrument (because that seemed to cause the notes be played twice). Hence there was no actual instrument in the Renoise while trying to record my playing, and no note-offs.

Note-Offs are only written down to the pattern when there actually is something to stop. Try it with for example short samples. We’re doing this to keep the patterns clean from unnecessary events.

When there no instrument playing, there also is nothing play. Is this a real problem or did you just wondered why it’s doing this?

With your “work-around” it’s no problem anymore, but how could one be expected to know that?

Nevertheless, thank you very much for your answer.