Phoscyon/ABL2 slides/glides/portamento

Okay, I’ve been reading thread after thread but I just can’t seem to get the slides to sound natural in either VSTi, what’s the exact method needed to have a proper 303 slide sound using the pattern editor? I’ve got multiple note columns and I’m using NOTE OFF, but it just seems to cut the first note when the second note kicks in and doesn’t sound right. Any ideas?

For a proper portamento, you need to place the new note / target note ALONGSIDE to the note off, so using two columns.

Edit: or even place the note-off a bit later. Same in cubase/logic, in which need to overlap note lengths for portamento.

I’ve tried that, but the notes are just stopping for some reason. I’ve played with alongside noteoff’s in different positions on both columns and it just cuts the note, no cool acid slides are happening on either synth. Does anyone have a renoise example file I could have a look at that has things set so I can see how it needs to be arranged?

You didn’t mention if you were on Windows or Mac, but here’s a quick example using the ABL 2 VSTi (32-bit) on Windows. Should hopefully be compatible with the Mac VSTi as well.

5792 dblue-2015-07-19-abl2-demo.xrns

You didn’t mention if you were on Windows or Mac, but here’s a quick example using the ABL 2 VSTi (32-bit) on Windows. Should hopefully be compatible with the Mac VSTi as well.

attachicon.gifdblue-2015-07-19-abl2-demo.xrns

Basically, to slide from one note to another, the 1st note must still be playing when the 2nd note is triggered. You can achieve this by putting the 2nd note into its own separate note column, and then stop the 1st note after the 2nd note has started.

A note off like this will work:
attachicon.gifabl2-slide.png

If you’re tight on space, you can also have the note off on the same line, and simply add a tiny delay in the delay column:
attachicon.gifabl2-slide2.png

Amazing, this works perfectly, I can’t work out why mine didn’t! That’s a really cool hack with the 01 delay, would be good for keeping things clean looking. Thanks again, I’ll try and make sense of why mine wasn’t doing this!

attachicon.gifdblue-2015-07-19-abl2-demo.xrns

Basically, to slide from one note to another, the 1st note must still be playing when the 2nd note is triggered. You can achieve this by putting the 2nd note into its own separate note column, and then stop the 1st note after the 2nd note has started.

A note off like this will work:
attachicon.gifabl2-slide.png

If you’re tight on space, you can also have the note off on the same line, and simply add a tiny delay in the delay column:
attachicon.gifabl2-slide2.png

Quick question, mainly out of curiousity - don’t have ABL2, so obv the instrument automations go nowhere but: If I understand correctly (total NOOB here) the LFO’s are being routed to the Instrument Automation Meta device, and I’m guessing to specific parameters. The question is: Which paramaters? Is it something like cutoff and resonance?

Just curious- think if I could understand this, it might help with programming other instruments (ex. demoing Phoscyon so would be useful if i can digure out what you’re doing with specific parameters to get the acid sound).

Edit: forget to say thanks for sharing this. THANK YOU!

Which paramaters? Is it something like cutoff and resonance?

I certainly wouldn’t take my demo as being a great example of the “acid sound” :wink:

But yes, I was modulating the filter cutoff, env mod, and decay, just to add a little bit of variation to the sound.

You can always test the ABL 2 demo if you’re curious, although now that I test it on a different machine, it doesn’t seem to be loading the VST preset exactly the same as I saved it. Must be a difference between the registered version I have at home and the latest demo version.

Phoscyon has all the same parameters anyway, so you could perhaps swap out the plugin and assign the same modulations. I had ABL set to Note mode, which disables the internal sequencer and plays MIDI from the host instead.

I certainly wouldn’t take my demo as being a great example of the “acid sound” :wink:

:smiley: yeah, but it’s gotta be 1,000% better than anything I can come up with :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously, though, this is really helpful. What I actually found really interesting/useful was just seeing how you were linking the meta machine w/LFO’s and that feeding into different parameters on the VST. Just one of those “I had no idea you could do that!?” sort of moments.

Will check out ABL - but, think now that i understand what’s going on, can probably work this out w/ phoscyon (what I did at work today was pull this up, and just put a random VST in the slot and it helped me “see” what was going on).

Thanks again!!!

PS Glitch is fucking awesome.