Why does Renoise add automatic volume fade in/out on pattern commands?

I’m not sure if this has been mentioned or discussed before, but here are the issues:

I am in the process of creating sequences by using the 0Sxx command to offset a sample at different positions in the waveform. I quickly noticed that Renoise applies an automatic volume fade-in as soon as the offset is triggered, no matter if the specified offset position is at zero crossing or at a peak - I can hear no click or pop and it all sounds very smooth.

The volume pattern command behaves very similar to this. Controlling the volume of a sample mid way with 00 and 80 will result the sample to not directly cut off but actually fade in and out very quickly. This will sound very terrible if you have a fast BPM and set 80 and 00 alternating on every line. You would expect the waveform to directly cut off but it will rather go up and down like a sine wave.

I understand why Renoise developer has made this a default behaviour, since in most situations you want a smooth sample offset and volume fade out. But for my current project I need hard/direct sample offsets and volume regulation. Is there any way to set Renoise’s auto-smooth feature off? I have looked everywhere in the setting and couldn’t find it. The autofade button in the sample properties doesn’t do anything about it either.

+1 for some kind of control over the level of smoothing (extra pattern command? :)). Would offer extra sound design possibilities.

So there is no chance to do something about this? I’m fucking disappointed, man.

idem345: you’d never find out until it would be released in a major version number anyway

If you want a quick transient, make that transient, by a gate or automating the floor on a ducking gate or something similar (not via the meta devices or pattern commands and pattern effect commands)

I don’t know about the second issue, but for point #1 you need to use slices instead of 0Sxx if you want it to be instant instead of fading in.

I don’t know about the second issue, but for point #1 you need to use slices instead of 0Sxx if you want it to be instant instead of fading in.

I know I can use slices, but I will not be able to pitch shift each slice on the keyboard anymore if I do this. That’s the point.

I know I can use slices, but I will not be able to pitch shift each slice on the keyboard anymore if I do this. That’s the point.

Ah sorry. I didn’t see a reference to pitch in your original post.

Pitch shifting slices is something I am very interested in as well!

I don’t know what the answer to this is… other than to use multiple instruments - and then you lose phrases!

So:

• 0Sxx - small volume fade-in
  • slices - no pitch shifting
  • multiple instruments - no phrases

Tradeoffs… I’m sure the renoise team will figure something out to give us everything… at least for a while :slight_smile:

The recommendation I got, to minimize the volume fade-in, is to increase the LPB, either for the whole song or for the part of the song where you want to use 0Sxx.

Sorry I can’t be of more help!

Redux lets you address particular samples inside a sliced instrument (in a phrase, samples inside are treated like the instrument column in renoise regular pattern editor). When you enter a sample number in the phrase’s sample column, instead of using the note as a sample chooser, the note value is applied to that sample.

You can sequence the slices by entering different sample numbers and still have pitch control with the note column. Assuming this will be added to the new renoise, it is just a matter of waiting unless you want to use redux.

Ok thanks pat and oneunkind for the detailed answer. I guess I will have to work around then until Redux’s features get implemented in the new version.