Reaper 5 released

A new version of Reaper is out.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=164829

https://audiosex.pro/threads/cockos-releases-reaper-v5.20152/

I’ve been using Reaper to prepare audio for use in Renoise (where I do all my composing).

However, there’s support for video which I’m looking forward to exploring.

The kind of music I’m making now, though it pains me, just doesn’t benefit from Renoise’s strengths at all, so I’m pretty much full time Reaper now. However I still use Renoise to sketch my songs, just because I can compose faster in Renoise. Then I rerecord it in Reaper. Being able to easily insert patterns between other patterns and being able to clone and copy patterns just makes Renoise faster for composition, for me.

Updated to Reaper 5 this morning, during the 2 seconds I had before I had to go to work. It never ceases to amaze me how fast Reaper installs and updates.

Looks like the score editor isn’t ready yet in Reaper 5, there was a rumour it would be, I wonder if they’ve dropped development of it? Oh well. Still love Reaper, this new update is looking pretty slick, really excited about the new video capabilities… and really love Redux in Reaper, truly a match made in heaven

Tried it out in wine last night and does look really good. The only problem for me is that it is a massive trade off because I can’t use native linux plugins in it so it’s either a nice host or a maybe not as good host with my preferred plugins.

Its time for renoise 3.1 … :frowning:

The kind of music I’m making now, though it pains me, just doesn’t benefit from Renoise’s strengths at all

Same thing here. Keeping a close eye on it though as I would love to work with it again. Renoise is the only software towards which I feel something (as weird as it sounds). With any other DAW, I never sit down to work saying to myself “oh yes!”, happy like a child that I’m going to have so much fun making something. I enjoy making music, but I don’t enjoy working with software. Unfortunately, it will be very hard for Renoise to ever beat Reaper for me with how fast I can do my basic daily stuff. Still, we have to keep dreaming :smiley:

Looks like the score editor isn’t ready yet in Reaper 5, there was a rumour it would be, I wonder if they’ve dropped development of it?

On another forum, someone recently said that they are working on it and it will get implemented soon. Since it was some random dude though, it’s as probable as another rumor out there, I guess.

Interesting release, I may finally look into Reaper. Heard so many things about it but never bothered to check. $60 is not very costly as well though I’m very scared of programming horizontally. Will be hard getting used to it.

Reaper is the closest thing to Renoise in a DAW world - not that it resembles tracker in any way, but it’s very customizable and has enormous amount of shortcuts. Workflow is heavily shifted towards keyboard which is the same with Renoise. That’s why you may find yuurself at home sooner than you think :wink:

been messin around with reaper since 2007, and i literally learn something new every day on the forums. it is just so dense and so deep, so intricate, it is really quite a wonder. i cant even see how it can possibly exist.

Updated to Reaper 5 this morning, during the 2 seconds I had before I had to go to work. It never ceases to amaze me how fast Reaper installs and updates.

Did you install it over the 4.x version and use the existing settings? No problems?

Did you install it over the 4.x version and use the existing settings? No problems?

I did, no problems and multiple times - I had a bug that I wanted to isolate so lots of reinstalls of both 4.x and pre5 and no problems. Always backup your settings though! When you do, it doesn’t matter if hell breaks loose… Preferences → General → Export configuration.

I did, absolutely no problems.

Reaper’s a bloody miracle. Hard to imagine a better partner for Renoise. I’ve been using it all day every day since 5 was released, along with Renoise, haven’t run into a single problem yet.

Robo, I asked Justin on his website about notation. Didn’t ask directly as he has a rule against stuff like that so asked in general if he sees use of it in a 2015 daw. He replied:

“I’d like it, I’ve been playing a decent amount of sheet music lately…”

Well that seems like a good sign, thanks for doing that. If they add a score editor, that will be the final nail in the coffin for Logic for me (I’m a recovering former Logic user, used it for over a decade). The score editor is the only thing I miss about Logic at this point… and I don’t even miss it that much, it’s just nice to be able to output a MIDI track as sheet music for when I work with other musicians.

For now I just use MuseScore, which does the job pretty well, but a native editor in Reaper would be awesome.

Out of curiosity, why did you swich from Logic?

The main reason was that I started to really dislike Apple’s “walled garden” approach in general, I didn’t like how they were limiting my software options as a user of their hardware, not to mention the price of the hardware, and decided to move back to Windows a few years ago for those reasons. I’d messed around with Reaper in OSX a bit and decided to buy a license and really learn how to use it once I traded my iMac for a Windows box. It was that or get Cubase, and I’m glad I chose Reaper.

Logic is great in its own right, but I found (and still find) Reaper to be refreshing in its hard-core DIY approach. Logic is a very slick production and tries to be everything to everyone and comes with multi-GBs of samples and such that I just don’t need. It’s weird but it seems to me that having all the stuff Logic came with actually hurt my creativity in the long run, Reaper makes you do everything yourself, makes you think and work things out on your own, and that really revived my interest in production. With a big package like Logic it’s hard to avoid the feeling, even if it isn’t true, that it’s doing too much of the work for you.

Though, truth be told, if Logic was available for Windows I might never have seriously tried to learn Reaper, I wouldn’t have had a reason to. I’m glad I did, though, it’s just as deep and capable as Logic, at least for my purposes.