Backwards compatibility?

Hey all,

The “modern” DAW in my studio setup is a Mac G5 tower, which only runs Renoise up to 2.7.

I’ve been playing around with 3.01 on my laptop - it seems really nice and addresses quite a few of the minor complaints I had about old versions. Is there a way to force 3.0 to save files that will be compatible with 2.7?

I suppose asking for a PowerPC build of 3.0 is grasping at false hopes… :frowning: Would be pretty awesome if it could be done though!

Also what’s the reason for the 30 MB -> 140 MB jump in size between 2.7/8 & 3.0? I always really appreciated how small the footprint of Renoise is compared to other software. It’s still pretty tight by today’s standards but a 4.5x increase in size was kind of shocking.

Is there a way to force 3.0 to save files that will be compatible with 2.7?

Nope. It’s technically possible to extract the XRNS song contents, and then manually edit/hack the XML to match the older version schema, but it’s quite a pain in the ass to do. We have no plans to make an official conversion or downgrading tool, as it’s just too much of a headache to deal with.

I suppose asking for a PowerPC build of 3.0 is grasping at false hopes

Maintaining support for it became too much work. We did it for as long as we could, but it’s time to move forward now with modern systems.

what’s the reason for the 30 MB → 140 MB jump in size between 2.7/8 & 3.0?

It’s the different demo songs, samples, instruments, etc. The application itself is still around 20-30 MB, depending on build (64-bit being slightly larger). You can safely delete the included factory content if you don’t use it.