[solved] OSC : /renoise/trigger/note_on

I am having a problem with “/renoise/trigger/note_on”
When I send it values… I see in the OSC panel the message ‘/trigger/note_on with X arguments’

where X will be 1 thru 3 depending on the number of params I send…

If I send the 4 params as outlined in the docs,I do not see any message in the Open Sound Control panel.

http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Open_Sound_Control

Trigger a Note-On.
arg#1: instrument (-1 for the currently selected one)
arg#2: track (-1 for the current one)
arg#3: note value (0-119)
arg#4: velocity (0-127)

I have not been able to get a ‘/trigger/note_on’ to work at all.

Other commands are working for me…

this is what my OSC out monitor is showing when 4 params are sent.

see attached image

I am having a problem with “/renoise/trigger/note_on”…

this is what my OSC out monitor is showing when 4 params are sent.

see attached image

I do not see any image.

What are the values you are sending?

What are using to send the OSC?

Oops forgot to click attach.

What is “OSC panel”?

Oops forgot to click attach.

Renoise expects 4 integers as arguments (32 or 64bit) but it seems that you are sending floats. We maybe could be a bit less strict here though and convert the floats to ints when necessary. The documentation of note_on definitely should be more clear here then.

Renoise expects 4 integers as arguments (32 or 64bit) but it seems that you are sending floats. We maybe could be a bit less strict here though and convert the floats to ints when necessary. The documentation of note_on definitely should be more clear here then.

Are there any OSC debugging options in Renoise? A way to have Renoise report when it receives a message but does not know what to do with the address pattern and/or its arguments?

The image is of the data monitor window in Isadora. I am controlling renoise based on video analysis in Isadora.

As for a place to see messages in renoise. I was leaving the preference windows open with the osc setting visible. There you can see some information related to received messages.

Thankyou for pointing out that Int’s are required. I will look into that this evening.

… We maybe could be a bit less strict here though and convert the floats to ints when necessary.

Have done this now too, so in the next Renoise update you will be able to use any numbers as arguments (chars, int32, int64, float, double or serialized numbers - strings). We had done this for the Lua implementation of the osc message server already, but forgot to do this for internal messages like note_on/off messages.

Have done this now too, so in the next Renoise update you will be able to use any numbers as arguments (chars, int32, int64, float, double or serialized numbers - strings). We had done this for the Lua implementation of the osc message server already, but forgot to do this for internal messages like note_on/off messages.

Skeptical that such broad acceptance is a good thing (especially versus better debugging or logging options).

What integer does 5.48 resolve to? What about ‘A’?

I have this working correctly now. I’m just forcing values to Int before sending… easy.

One note might be that the wiki page is a little vague on the type of parameters.

The are listed as ‘number’, rather than Int of Float.

This might be updated to make it clear for future people.

I have this working correctly now. I’m just forcing values to Int before sending… easy.
One note might be that the wiki page is a little vague on the type of parameters.
The are listed as ‘number’, rather than Int of Float.
This might be updated to make it clear for future people.

It seems sort of implicit that a track number or note is a counting number (i.e. nobody refers to “track 4.0” or “MIDI note 64.0”. These are counting numbers. But, apparently, there’s room for misunderstanding.

It’s also possible that other OSC servers are quietly accepting of non-integers for ostensibly integer values leading people to think that specifying a counting value with a float makes perfect sense.

This is one reason I’m leery of software that is too accommodating. It encourages dubious behavior.

This is one reason I’m leery of software that is too accommodating. It encourages dubious behavior.

I fully agree with you in general, but not in this special case. :wink:

Even though /renoise/trigger/note_on,off and “midi” are the only OSC messages that are not implemented in Lua, but in the Renoise C++ core, and thus can not be changed/extended in Lua, they should behave like the Lua ones: The Lua language itself is “fuzzy” by design with doubles as the only numeric number and automatic string ↔ number conversion in many places, so Renoise’s OSC impl should be in this case too.

In other words: we should either be fuzzy everywhere or nowhere. and then need to document everything accordingly too:

Right now the doc’s say “numbers”, so they also should accept “numbers” and not OSC int32 tags or something like that.