Easy way to perform Rolls - Snares, Hihats, etc

https://youtu.be/aBn7bjy9c4U?t=87

If you listen to this Youtube clip you’ll hear very fast hihat rolls. The hihat is getting hit at like 1/64th beats or something like that in rapid succession.

Do I have to scale up the Renoise lines per beat to some huge number to get such rapid rolls? Or is there an easier way? I don’t really want to sample the music and want my own sounds from VSTi.

You could use R-- command or you can use another column and add the same note but use a delay. You could, in theory, add quite a few notes on the same line with varying delays to create roles. Personally I prefer to stick to 8 lpb instead of 4, it gives you a bit more resolution when you need it, not only for notes but for note offs.

Also, a standard technique in southern-electro-crunk style beatmaking is to turn the sequencer up to 2 x the tempo. In renoise I would use more than 4lpb + double the tempo.

LBP 12

Double the tempo

Lines number: 48 or 96 or 192

You can do triplet etc…

What others already have said. I usually set the LPB to 20. But more often I use the repeater or delay DSP’s to get these kind of effects. I find it really easy to use and it gives you a lot of control.

is there an easier way?

Check out the Retrigger command Rxy to quickly achieve rolls.

Also take a look at the Delay column, which allows you to offset the position of the note within the pattern line.

If you only need to roll a few sounds, and you don’t feel like doubling your tempo and expanding the entire pattern, you can play several notes on the same line but apply delays to offset their timing to achieve the roll.

More info in the docs:
http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Effect_Commands

Here’s a quick recreation of that track you linked to: (Renoise 3.0.1)
5892 dblue-2015-08-28-you-know-you-like-it.xrns

Hope this helps!

3 Likes

I’ve been having the same doubt! Thank you so much dblue, that command is what I was looking for!

Here’s a quick recreation of that track you linked to:
attachicon.gifdblue-2015-08-28-you-know-you-like-it.xrns

Hope this helps!

Love your xrns posts! Simple but sounds great.

Love your xrns posts! Simple but sounds great.

Cheers, mate! It’s quite fun to reverse engineer the music every now and then :wink:

Using the repeater is also a nice option.

Dodgy Geezer you hit this one out of the park. Awesome job on the xrns!

I’ve been playing with D Geezers file a little more. The final snare has a Retrigger command of R44. If I change the Retrigger command to R24 there is almost no audible difference.

Shouldn’t the R24 command sound twice as fast as the R44 command? R24 is retriggering every two ticks instead of R44’s every four ticks. Two is twice as fast as four on a twelve tick scale.

???

I’ve been playing with D Geezers file a little more. The final snare has a Retrigger command of R44. If I change the Retrigger command to R24 there is almost no audible difference.

Shouldn’t the R24 command sound twice as fast as the R44 command? R24 is retriggering every two ticks instead of R44’s every four ticks. Two is twice as fast as four on a twelve tick scale.

???

Rxy, the x position manipulates retrigger volume. It’s the y that controls the speed.

Somebody got hit by the dumb stick today. Next time I’ll read the manual.

http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Effect_Commands