Question regarding signal processing of track groups

I was wondering how exactly are signals of track groups and the underlying tracks processed?

I have a few DSPs sitting in the effect chain of a parent group. Is the signal of each underlying track treated by the DSPs individually and combined with the signals of the other subtracks afterwards? Or will the signal of all sub-tracks be combined first to a single one and then processed by the parent DSP?

combined first

Thanks gova.

Not that I doubt or don’t trust your answer, but can you go a little into detail why it is not the other way round?

Tracks in renoise are processed in a wave from left to right, without coming back.

Proof:

If they were summed, i.e. the rendering would go process each track separately then the send/group then next track, there would me no intermodulation here, you’d get 2 square waves at different pitches.

The individual tracks (and any DSPs within them) are processed first, in left-to-right order. Their outputs are then combined together into a single audio stream, before being sent through the group’s DSP chain.

Doing it the other way around — applying the group DSP chain uniquely to each individual track — would require an additional copy of the group DSP chain for every track that exists within the group, which would simply be impractical and a waste of resources.

Is there a specific reason you need it to work the other way around, or were you simply curious about how the processing worked in general?

…would simply be impractical and a waste of resources.Is there a specific reason you need it to work the other way around

Doesn’t Renoise’s modulation system kind of work “the other way around”?

Doesn’t Renoise’s modulation system kind of work “the other way around”?

Kind of, but that’s mainly due to the nature of the sampler itself, where many voices may be playing independently at different times. It’s therefore necessary for each voice to have its own volume modulation, pitch modulation, filter, and so on, because each voice is running independently of the others, and its state may change in between the triggering of one voice to the next.

The same does not really apply to groups, because the tracks within the group are all processed and routed through the group DSP chain at exactly the same time. It doesn’t matter if the group contains 1 track or 100 — all tracks will process their own individual DSP chains and do whatever they need to, then they’re combined/mixed into a single audio stream and fed through the group DSP chain.

If you have several tracks going through a group DSP chain, and you prefer them to be processed individually for whatever reason (processed in parallel, essentially), then you can simply take those DSP devices from the group and move/clone them into the individual track DSP chains instead.