How to Export to Professional Format

Dream for a minute…

Let’s say I wanted to sell my song to some hot shot movie studio. How would I export it so they can use it in Pro Tools or whatever they use. Even a normal studio. How did Mitch M export his songs for use in Kung Fury for example. I doubt they were importing XRNS directly into the movie. Maybe they did?

You buy your copy of Renoise, and then you render your song to .WAV :slight_smile:

Hehe, as simple as that. For “professionals” it could be possible, that they need stems (In Renoise: Save each track into a seperate file).

What will happen when I want a pro to master the final mix of my album? Do I just give them each track of each song as a wav? Can they alter the levels, reverb, etc with just the wav? I understand it is basically a sample but will the end result be the same as twiddling knobs in Renoise? Is it smarter to do final mix mastering in Reaper and send that to a pro for Pro Tools mastering (or Ableton)?

Hehe, as simple as that. For “professionals” it could be possible, that they need stems (In Renoise: Save each track into a seperate file).

Yes but: Depending on how you have your sends and groups set up the combination of resulting tracks might sound notably different from the single-wave export. At least that has been my experience.

What will happen when I want a pro to master the final mix of my album? Do I just give them each track of each song as a wav? Can they alter the levels, reverb, etc with just the wav? I understand it is basically a sample but will the end result be the same as twiddling knobs in Renoise? Is it smarter to do final mix mastering in Reaper and send that to a pro for Pro Tools mastering (or Ableton)?

If you want someone to master your tracks you only need a single wave output, just make shure you keep some headroom, which basically means lower your volume.

There is a big difference between mastering and mixing and usually you don’t send your track away for mixing, but for mastering.

I’d say it’s important to keep most of the dynamics and the mix has to sound good before mastering to make a good master. Basically what mastering is for is to prepare the mix for publishing where the main goal for the master will be to make it sound the best possible an all kinds of equipment, make it balanced and make it loud.

If you want an engineer to mix your track i’d do as little as possible (use less sound altering effects and such) with it and just export all tracks as waves, then the engineer can open those in whatever DAW he wishes.

Yes but: Depending on how you have your sends and groups set up the combination of resulting tracks might sound notably different from the single-wave export. At least that has been my experience.

Why is this exactly? May it be the track headroom that makes the multiple render mix sound different?

MHn, this shouldn’t be happen.

May it be the track headroom that makes the multiple render mix sound different?

This could be the case. I set this to 0db because its nonsense for me… If its too loud, lower the volume. Renoise have a 32bit mixing engine, right? So it shouldn’t be a problem, when every track is too loud. I sometimes lower the input volume of the master channel with the gain effect, before it gets routed to my master effects chain. Btw. an input volume fader is missing in the master channel.

Yep, TheBellows gave pretty deep and accurate answer. I only wish to add you shouldn’t really worry about that for next 2-3 years. It took me 5 years using Renoise before mastering my music become really necessary.

MHn, this shouldn’t be happen.

It was a while ago. What I noticed was that certain fx (delay and reverb, among others) did not come out the same. I had multiple tracks sharing the same send tracks. It might be that when the signals are all processed at the same time you can something different than if you did each track on it’s own.

I need to do some experiments and see if I can come up with an example xrns file that demonstrates this discrepancy.

It was a while ago. What I noticed was that certain fx (delay and reverb, among others) did not come out the same. I had multiple tracks sharing the same send tracks. It might be that when the signals are all processed at the same time you can something different than if you did each track on it’s own.

I need to do some experiments and see if I can come up with an example xrns file that demonstrates this discrepancy.

Might be some phase problems you got there, caused by tiny latency somewhere perhaps? I noticed before that if i send a track and keeps both, it sounds less loud than if i turn one of them down.