Importing .mp3s in renoise under WINE

So I’m using renoise in WINE under linux because the plugin support is great and everything works mostly how I want it to. There’s no conflict with pulseaudio as far as renoise hijacking the thread so only renoise can play audio, no weird work arounds for VST support, etc.

The only problem is that now I can’t import .mp3s as renoise just complains that the files are empty.

So I’m just wondering what I can do to allow importing .mp3s. I installed quicktime (with WINE) as you would in a regular renoise windows setup for .mp3 support, however that has not worked.

Can anything read mp3 files under wine on your system? I know wine has an MP3 use flag when compiling so if that wasn’t included then MP3s wouldn’t work but I doubt that’s the problem. Install lame maybe?

Foobar2000 works perfectly fine, so yeah I can read .mp3s elsewhere.

I’ll give LAME a shot, hopefully that works.

Could you elaborate more on the MP3 use flag, where would I set that?

EDIT: LAME didn’t work, but then again I installed LAME for audacity so I dunno if that has anything to do with it…

Did you install windows lame in wine? It sounds like the windows (wine) side that’s the problem, not linux.

Use flags are passed when compiling a program, unless you’re using gentoo you’re not likely to encounter them most of the time. They dictate which features are enabled and compiled in when you build the package.

Yeah, I dunno if there’s a “generic” version of LAME for windows that I’m supposed to install, but I used the LAME for audacity installer. How would I let renoise use the path to LAME? Can renoise even use LAME?

I’ve also been reading around and found a library called libmpg123 that’s apparently supposed to be the linux lib for mp3 use in renoise. Do you know anything about that?

No, sorry no idea.

I don’t mean to preach but have you considered running it natively in linux and using airwave vst bridge for your windows plugins? It works pretty well for 99% of things.

No, sorry no idea.

I don’t mean to preach but have you considered running it natively in linux and using airwave vst bridge for your windows plugins? It works pretty well for 99% of things.

Could you elaborate?

I originally tried running native linux renoise and doing something to bridge the VSTs but never figured out how to do it properly.

I’m unfamiliar with airwave, so if you could tell me more I might be interested.

EDIT: Just kidding, found it with a quick google, going to test now.

It’s pretty good, there are a few recent plugins, like the limiter6, which don’t display their GUIs but that’s wine bug rather than airwave.

It’s not ideal but it works.

Although it seems like I get better plugin compatibility with Renoise in WINE for less work tbh…

Oh well :confused:

Renoise uses Quicktime (32bit only) and/or DirectShow on Windows for MP3 decoding. Not sure if any of those are available in WINE. If they are, it should work…

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL837?locale=en_US

This is the runtime I used, but still no luck. I think it’s 32-bit because it installs in the (x86) program folder.

How would I get DirectShow on WINE? Is it part of DirectX?

Either way, I’m gonna try installing DirectX to see if that might help, I’ll let you guys know if it does the trick.

EDIT: Welp, still no luck…

Try with winetricks

That didn’t seem to work either… I went to Install a Windows Component/DLL > Checked QuickTime (tried both versions) and still the same results. Set Audio to safe mode and same for video playback.

That’s a shame.

The best work around I can think at this point is to just convert any .mp3s to .wavs somehow either with a commandline tool or with a script to do it in renoise, but yeah.