Write phrase to pattern notes?

Is there a way of “bouncing” a phrase to its individual notes rather than audio? Without a phrase auto seek it’s quite hard to hear properly during writing and it would be nice to turn phrases into their notes in the pattern editor.

In redux, no.

This wont neatly solveyour autoseek problem, but in renoise it’s possible to send midi data out of a phrase

renoise instrument with phrases>virtual midi port>daw

This will send just the midi from the phrase and give you just the individual notes.

Sorry, I meant in renoise, not redux, can it be done in renoise?

you’re in the wrong sub-forum, but in an essence, yes.

WhatOS are you using?

Whoops sorry! I’m using windows, can this be more please? ?

download this:

http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/loopmidi.html

install it

unless there already is one, make a midi port called ‘loopMIDI Port’

open the xrns bellow.

The concept in renoise to renoise is not as nice as renoise to another daw though, as renoise is not very recording centric, so some issues will arise, one of them being the reason why the destination track’s pattern slot is muted.

But it does work.

Thank you! I didn’t know renoise doesn’t have a built it record phrase to pattern editor function?

You can copy/paste notes directly from the phrase editor into the pattern editor (and vice versa, to some extent).

Some data may get lost in the process, and whether or not the resulting note data actually maps to anything useful afterwards is another question entirely. Really depends on the structure of your instrument, what each note triggers, and so on.

If you’re only interested in the note data, though, then it’s relatively easy.

Well, I have an amen mapped in a phrase, and I’m triggering it at different offsets, so I have a pattern editor full of trigger notes, and the amen break plays from different start points. I want to “flatten” this so instead of a live phrase, it plays the individual notes, or “slices” of the break, that way I can write the part with phrases and work on it flattened, since there isn’t an autoseek for patterns to speak of. Is there no built-in way of turning phrase trigger data into the actual live notes it plays?

I’ve been meaning to add this to PhrasePhreak but haven’t yet… maybe you or someone else is interested in adapting the code to flatten phrases.

I’d love to, but I’ve never used Lua before :confused: What kind of work would be required to adapt this?

I’m actually pretty surprised there’s no native way of recording notes the phrase outputs into the pattern editor?

I’m actually pretty surprised there’s no native way of recording notes the phrase outputs into the pattern editor?

In most cases this would be possible, but in others it won’t. Phrase and pattern data is not easily interchangeable, that’s why this isn’t possible.

You can play more notes in a phrase, triggered from the pattern than the pattern alone would be able to play back. Also phrases have an individual LPB setting, so for example rendering down a LPB 16 phrase into a LPB 4 pattern wouldn’t work without losing some of the note data.

A script could “try” to do such conversions, but there’s no guarantee that things sound exactly as they did before then.

True, but if you conformed to using the same lpb as the project, it would be possible to use a script?

+1

I’d love to see this feature as well, native or script.

A simple solution could be to just do it whenever it is possible (or convertible) and to show a popup saying “cannot convert, because…” when it is not possible.

Three are great ideas and it would make breakbeat composition playback so much easier. Could this be done as a tool?

Is there any way to do a loopback method workaround currently in renoise?

How do folks get along with long phrases or even detailed programming with phrases used for drum loops? It’s driving me craZy trying to work without an auto seeks and any tool that could put auto seek back in or bounce them down would be sooo helpful.

How do folks get along with long phrases or even detailed programming with phrases used for drum loops? It’s driving me craZy trying to work without an auto seeks and any tool that could put auto seek back in or bounce them down would be sooo helpful.

I don’t, i keep my phrases rather small. :stuck_out_tongue:

But:

• Autoseek forphrases:phrases have an autoseek option now too, additionally to the sample autoseek option. It’s enabled by default, but can be turned off as well. What does it do? When navigating around in the song or starting somewhere in the middle of the song, it will seek, move aheadphraseaccordingly, even when no note directly trigger them - yet.