3.1 Beta Tricks

New/updated effects, effect columns for each note column, phrase “program” mode, What shenanigans have you been up to since the newest beta dropped? How are you using the new features?

I’ve had a lot of fun assigning channel pressure to stuff and I’m really excited about the prospect of using MIDI generators across multiple instruments.

Mostly phrase switching in the automation editor.

For me, it’s these guys. Once you get used to them, there’s no goin’ back.

granular_mouse.gif flexible_mark.gif
Left: granular selections (using the mouse), right: flexible mark

Cool, i have waited for this!

I probably won’t be able to dig and discover new methods from all of the updated features through this beta period…

A couple of understated things I like from someone who hasn’t bought Redux yet…

Being able to label per column is nice, using it constantly to define my intention because lets face it,

looking at older projects and trying to rejuvinate them and seeing all those letters and numbers,

and forgetting why I did that in that first place can be disheartening.

Granular selections is an effcient update to the way of the keyboard. I do like the mouse friendly additions as well.

From sliders to drop down menu’s. I’ve been enjoying the combination of trackball and keyboard.

Visually its interesting to see how I can see each phrase loop, I don’t however know if there’s

any validity to my own interest to suggest a spot along side the frequency analyzer, phase scope, track scope…

Like any new system, there’s always room for new things to affect the current workflow, and how users will exploit this new-ness.

Basically what I’m saying is, if we’re taking the topic of “tricks” to a wider scope, its kind of tricking me to work with phrases more.

These MIDI messages can now be used for controlling instruments

CC#1 Mod-wheel ➙ freely assignable as a macro

CC#5 Glide Amount ➙ set glide amount (monophonic triggering mode)
CC#7 Volume ➙ control the global volume
CC#14 Scale Key ➙ determine the root key for the scale (range: 0-11)
CC#15 Scale Mode ➙ apply a harmonic scale to the preset (range: 0 = OFF 1-35 = Scale)
CC#64 Sustain pedal ➙ while sustain is enabled, any playing notes will continue to play until the pedal is released (0-63 = OFF 64-127 = ON)
CC#121 All Controllers Off ➙Reset pitch-bend (PB), channel-pressure (CP) and mod-wheel (MW)
CC#123 All Notes Off ➙ turns off any currently playing notes
CC#126 Mono On ➙ enable monophonic triggering
CC#127 Mono Off ➙ disable monophonic triggering
Channel-pressure ➙ channel pressure, freely assignable as macro
Pitch-bend ➙ pitch-bend, freely assignable as macro
Mod-Wheel ➙see CC#01

granular_mouse.gif flexible_mark.gif
Left: granular selections (using the mouse), right: flexible mark

Why this cant be done with notes? Afterward i would use “convert instrument number” tool or Advanced edit :-).

Why this cant be done with notes? Afterward i would use “convert instrument number” tool or Advanced edit :-).

Hey! If you’re asking about doing sub-selections of notes only (i.e., just notes, not instrument) it looks like you can! Just hold alt while selecting in the note column and it apperas you can select and move just the notes (leaving the instrument enumeration behind). Might not be what ur askign though?

RE: new features - I stayed up WAY too late last night b/c I was having way too much fun with the midi routing options. Coming from other DAW’s I’ve also loved the ability to arp via midi and now that this is possible in renoise . . .well, let’s just say I’m drinking a LOT of coffee this morning. . . :slight_smile:

Something I`ve been wanting to dig into (distracted by Lua recently) is per phrase groove percent

Not much of a phrase user, but this might draw me in there until this is implemented per track in 3.2 :badteeth:

Hey! If you’re asking about doing sub-selections of notes only (i.e., just notes, not instrument) it looks like you can! Just hold alt while selecting in the note column and it apperas you can select and move just the notes (leaving the instrument enumeration behind). Might not be what ur askign though?

RE: new features - I stayed up WAY too late last night b/c I was having way too much fun with the midi routing options. Coming from other DAW’s I’ve also loved the ability to arp via midi and now that this is possible in renoise . . .well, let’s just say I’m drinking a LOT of coffee this morning. . . :slight_smile:

Wow, it is amazing! Thank you!
Much better that what i suggested :slight_smile:

You can record the MIDI output of an arp plug like Cthulhu on a track. Don’t think I’ve seen this mentioned. Pls tell me if there’s a more striaghtforward way to do this I missed, but it’s really easy this way too. I just use loopMIDI (free virtual MIDI port), send the MIDI output of Cthulhu’s MIDI output target instrument to a loopMIDI port (say loopMIDI1), no MIDI input, then go to a blank instrument slot, and in its MIDI screen put loopMIDI1 as the input, no MIDI output, the basically just hit “record” and “play” and trigger the Cthulhu instrument (in a track of its own or with a MIDI keyboard or whatever). No MIDI feedback loop results (because it’s routed between isntruments, but must use blank instrument slot it seems?). You probably want to set the LPB pretty high to catch things like gate length and swing etc properly, also you want to set Cthulhu’s target instrument (which can actually also just be an empty slot like the MIDI receive/write instrument) to “LineIn Return” in its MIDI (to avoid latency). Hope I explained that clearly enough. It records Cthulhu’s MIDI output perfectly for me. Love it.

Now that we have the Zxx command, I’ve really started to use phrases a lot more.
Particularly cool: switch to a phrase using Zxx and then trigger from a specific line using Sxx in one go :ph34r:

Also, when doing this I’ve found it helpful to switch to hexadecimal line numbers (Preferences>GUI). Avoids having to convert back and forth between decimal and hexadecimal numbers.