#1 Raul (ulneiz)

Raul (ulneiz)

Big Super GrandMasta Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 12:31

Rows Divider in Pattern Editor

This idea I already have outlined above (in version 3.0.1). I think that will play a big role in Renoise 3.1if it is implemented.

It's about add a new Rows Divider in Pattern Editor, superposed, indicating a stronger color rows for each "XX" value (the color may change in Preferences/Themes/Color Settings: Category: Pattern). It adds up the rows already marked for LPB.

Examples:

• 16 value: mark the rows 00, 16, 32, 48...
  • 8 value:  mark the rows 00, 08, 16, 24, 32, 40, 48, 56...
  • 12 value:  mark the rows 00, 12, 24, 36, 48, 60...

The Rows Divider in Pattern Editor would be helpful for:

1. Be more agile with the view especially in big patterns (many rows, >64).
  2. You could accompany the beat of the metronome (example 4x4 is 16 value).
  3. Quickly locate the row to edit.
  4. Better to see the correlation of notes between tracks.
  5. ...

Screenshots of Rows Divider

Rows Divider, value: 16

01-rows-divider-pattern-editor-value16.png

Rows Divider, value: 8

02-rows-divider-pattern-editor-value8.png

Rows Divider, value: 12

03-rows-divider-pattern-editor-value12.png

The button

Of course, the button can be disabled or enabled.

04-rows-divider-pattern-editor-zoom.png

Edited by Raul, 12 October 2015 - 13:44.

#2 joule

joule

Guruh Motha Fakka is Levitating and Knows Everything About Renoise Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1358 posts
  • Interests:music, philosophy, engineering

Posted 12 October 2015 - 15:04

Second highlight (kind of). As a user of Milkytracker I can testify that this makes a tracker look even prettier. I don't know if I agree with the exact implementation in this case.

A simple "Secondary highlight every xx lines" in the Song Options could suffice (with additional color settings in preferences).

Ideally, highlight values should be lua statements instead of simple values ;)

Edited by joule, 12 October 2015 - 15:09.

#3 Raul (ulneiz)

Raul (ulneiz)

• Normal Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 15:34

I as a user of Impulse Tracker. This idea is borrowed him. Impulse Tracker had two dividing layers, Renoise one only. This was very useful then, and remains so now.

I do not know exactly what would be the solution to the delight of all. Personally, I sometimes make a mess browsing in Pattern Editor of Renoise 3.0.1 and 3.1 (and previous).

This idea is another added. If someone bothers, you can disable with button.

#4 esp81

esp81

Chief Above Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 22:20

Yep I've suggested this feature several times over the years. Having different row colors for the beginning of each measure would make longer patterns much easier to work with.

• Raul (ulneiz) likes this

#5 Raul (ulneiz)

Raul (ulneiz)

• Normal Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 00:43

... Having different row colors for the beginning of each measure would make longer patterns much easier to work with.

Of course! But how to justify if users do not see it in action. This helps a lot visually. The pattern editor contains big information, related notes, rhythm, everything is relatedI miss a visual aid, and the reference is always horizontal, anywhere. I've been fighting a long time with this.

"The Pattern Editor is as a long music sheet, without whitespace" (visually speaking)...  ^_^

Edited by Raul, 13 October 2015 - 00:45.

• esp81 likes this

#6 esp81

esp81

Chief Above Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 14:14

Yes hopefully with your mockups the devs will finally look into this feature! Jeskola Buzz tracker also has this and it really does help quite a bit.

Edited by esp81, 13 October 2015 - 14:19.

#7 Raul (ulneiz)

Raul (ulneiz)

• Normal Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 15:13

Yes hopefully with your mockups the devs will finally look into this feature! Jeskola Buzz tracker also has this and it really does help quite a bit.

Yes, I hope that all the forum to contribute ideas show a true picture, to see how it looks. But it is impossible to understand everything. Whenever possible. You have to make things easier to see if they are useful.

It seems silly, but do help to see if it works (valid) or not. I have seen that people are not aware nor with the images. Go figure!

#8 pat

pat

Big Daddy Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 05:19

Isn't this the "highlight every xx lines" in Song Options -> Highlighting & Defaults?

#9 Djeroek

Djeroek

Probably More God or Borg Than Human Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6670 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 07:56

Isn't this the "highlight every xx lines" in Song Options -> Highlighting & Defaults?

Was thinking the same thing, but see Joule responding with 'second highlight', so think this might refer to an extra colored emphasis every Nth beat?

#10 esp81

esp81

Chief Above Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 11:38

Was thinking the same thing, but see Joule responding with 'second highlight', so think this might refer to an extra colored emphasis every Nth beat?

Yes, so you can for instance have a different color marking the first beat of each measure like Milkytracker and Jeskola Buzz tracker...it's quite useful when working with longer patterns.

pattern.JPG

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by esp81, 14 October 2015 - 11:43.

#11 Raul (ulneiz)

Raul (ulneiz)

• Normal Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 11:55

"Highlighting & Defaults"? Where is that exactly?

Yes, It is like an "additional layer of color" always above that is already pointing to the rows above each xx value. Take a good look at the pictures and count.

In screenshots:
  • Dark gray corresponds to valor color: Preferences Panel / Theme / Category : Pattern: "Highlighted Back" (Renoise 3.1.0b2). And the numeric valor is the "LPB", above of Pattern Editor (the value in screenshots is "4" always).
  • Light Grey (new "Rows Divider") corresponds to: new button and numeric valorunderneath below of Pattern Editor (it is a example, the idea). Would value color in Preferences Panel Preferences Panel / Theme / Category : Pattern: "XXXX". In the screenshots shown the values 16, 8 and 12 (it is a example).

This is a simple way to add this visual function (this idea). It may be added in another way. That depends on developers RenoiseI think this is so useful as necessary.

Yes, so you can for instance have a different color marking the first beat of each measure like Milkytracker and Jeskola Buzz tracker...it's quite useful when working with longer patterns.

Exactly! Impulse Tracker also.

To capture visually, imagine stretching or compressing an accordion.

In this case:

• LPB numeric value: 1
  • button (new "Rows Divider") numeric value: 1

...both they overlap

Edited by Raul, 14 October 2015 - 11:58.

#12 Hazardous!

Hazardous!

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 12:52

Referencing my post on this thread: http://forum.renoise...ome-meter-song/

Pattern highlighting should be linked to per pattern metronome settings and vice versa so that Renoise has proper support for multiple time signature changes in song and pattern highlighting that reflects the current time signature of the pattern.

This could be achieved with a pattern effects command that uses the first value to set the beat divisor and the second the beat value.

#13 Raul (ulneiz)

Raul (ulneiz)

• Normal Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 14:07

@Hazardous!

Lol, I have answered in another post (http://forum.renoise...ng/#entry338330) without knowing what you wrote here.

Indeed, Renoise could have 2 commands moreI have made you the commands ZMxx and ZNxx, for example. Maybe it could workBut this should be something else, not mixed with this post^_^

Edited by Raul, 19 October 2015 - 14:25.

#14 Raul (ulneiz)

Raul (ulneiz)

• Normal Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 14:21

It would be very interesting to add the two ideas (Row Divider + 2 Metronome Commands). It would be very useful for direct recording with a piano MIDI, creating realistic music with nuancesThis is also related to the Virtual Piano add below the Pattern Editor, something that I hope will not be ignored:

1. http://forum.renoise...ab/#entry337240
  2. http://forum.renoise...ab/#entry337639

With all this, the direct recording with Piano Midi have another higher level, taking the Virtual Piano like working tool, not only like visual toolAll tools should be as helpful as possible... Foul the development with the time!

Edited by Raul, 19 October 2015 - 14:27.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: idea