ffx

Guruh Motha Fakka is Levitating and Knows Everything About Renoise Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2869 posts
  • Interests:Renoise sidechaining, macOS fanboying

Posted 22 October 2015 - 22:16

I would love to see a tool similar to this one:

A tool that auto-setups the automation device, by noticing gui controls movements. if the moved control isn't in list a new point will be added to automation device. If no automation device is in device list, an automation device will be added. Just a shortcut "activate/deactivate auto setup automation" or something.

Edited by Jurek, 22 October 2015 - 22:17.

MacOS 10.12.6 Retina, Renoise 3.1 64 bit   -   Tuned Shortcuts | Multi-Jump From/To Send | Quick Template | Insert Native DSP Menu (incl. deprecated)

#27 Ledger

Ledger

Guruh Motha Fakka Knows More About Renoise Than Taktik

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3369 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 22:33

Instrument functionality is planned for the [G] button.

There may be a bit of an issue with checking the instrument number being pointed to:

http://forum.renoise...omation-device/

but as far as I can see, it should be possible to loop and tell which parameters are available and replace the first unautomated assignment with the moved parameter in the VSTi/ plugin.

I haven`t proved concept yet, but will have a go.  It won`t be as easy as standard devices, as you have to mess around with presets and their xml strings for this one.

• ffx likes this

--> Lua For Beginners <--
--> Lua for newbies <--

My Scripts On Forum

Top Tip!

cpu : Xeon 1231 v3, os : Win 7 64bit, audio: Audient iD4
posts as 4tune @ KvR and some other music related sites

#28 Ledger

Ledger

• Normal Members
  • 3369 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 22:19

Shortcuts now prefixed with `AUS` so will need updating if already set

`AUS` Automation Single Slider",  
`AUS` Add Inst. Auto Device To Track"   (NEW)  --adds an instrument automation device to the current track

Now the [G] (grab) button works on Plugin (VSTi etc.) instruments:

Simply add your `Instr. automation device` to your track and with it selected and **THE CORRECT TARGET INSTRUMENT SELECTED IN THE INSTRUMENT LIST, press the [g] button.  It will turn red, open the selected instrument gui.  Move the parameter you want to grab and it will be selected in the automation list and shown as selected in the tool.  The `Instr. automation device` only has about 35 parameters that can be active, so if the newly selected parameter is not already included, then the first unautomated parameter popup will be changed to accomodate it.

**As the API/ script can`t see which is the target instrument in the `Instr. automation device` you will need to make sure that the selected instrument in the renoise list is the correct one.  If for some reason this goes wrong a warning will fire with some explaination to try again.

---
I`ll leave the previous download for now below until this version has been tested a bit.

VSTi/ plugin Instrument parameter grabbing now available:          

http://forum.renoise...er/#entry337874

Edited by Ledger, 23 October 2015 - 23:12.

• ffx and Akiz like this

--> Lua for newbies <--

My Scripts On Forum

Top Tip!

#29 Akiz

Akiz

Guruh Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 00:49

Great. Automatization is now much more fun. Thank you

#30 Ledger

Ledger

• Normal Members
  • 3369 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 11:40

Great. Automatization is now much more fun. Thank you

Yes, having the selection and `wiring` of parameters more automated, has made me delve in a lot more to the automation editor.  The renoise automation list on its own can cause a lot of stop-and-think.

Experimenting and learning a ton of stuff now, though you have to watch the cpu a bit when you get a lot of vst parameters dancing along!

• ffx likes this

--> Lua for newbies <--

My Scripts On Forum

Top Tip!

#31 ffx

ffx

• Normal Members
  • 2869 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 12:24

Hey Ledger,

I have a question and suggestion:

- If I captured one parameter and automated it, I want to capture the next. How can I then capture the next? I wasn't able to setup it up, so capturing next parameter works.

- Would be very handy, if it could setup the instrument automation device automatically for selected vsti, only if there is no one existing for the vsti in the track... :)

- Can I borrow parts of your code for my shortcut collection? I would like to do that auto-setup automation device and auto-capture parameter only using a shortcut on/off. Maybe your tool could also benefit from some improvements that may arise?

MacOS 10.12.6 Retina, Renoise 3.1 64 bit   -   Tuned Shortcuts | Multi-Jump From/To Send | Quick Template | Insert Native DSP Menu (incl. deprecated)

#32 Ledger

Ledger

• Normal Members
  • 3369 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 14:12

I guess you want to capture an instruments automation to populate the automation device one by one here.

The only way to do this in one go with this tool is to automate the parameter after you have captured it and then move on to the next capture.  Otherwise the tool will `overwrite` that parameter you just captured with the next capture.  The function checks if parameter `is_automated` in the automation device.  A non automated parameter is considered a free slot to put the newly captured parameter in.

- Would be very handy, if it could setup the instrument automation device automatically for selected vsti, only if there is no one existing for the vsti in the track... :)

I added the add automation device shortcut for this.  The other options I guess would be to check what VSTis have notes in the current track (could be a bit slow for real time use).  Add a button to GUI -- clutter/ more scanning for visual feedback.

Or just automatically adding for each selected instrument could result in a lot of unwanted mess-- renoise`s general, use any instrument anywhere principle causing its usual problems :badteethslayer:

edit: AFAIR a further problem with automation devices is that the API can`t see which instrument it is pointing to which makes checks impossible.

- Can I borrow parts of your code for my shortcut collection?

yes, go ahead, thanks for asking  :)

Edited by Ledger, 12 January 2016 - 14:20.

• ffx likes this

--> Lua for newbies <--

My Scripts On Forum

Top Tip!

#33 thalamus

thalamus

Big Daddy Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Interests:Sound

Posted 12 January 2016 - 17:26

Thanks for this Ledger, a really great workflow enhancement!

• Ledger likes this

#34 thalamus

thalamus

Big Daddy Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 22:40

Is it possible to automate a plug like Kontakt (which uses MIDI for all it's various knobs/sliders and controls) with this Tool?

#35 Ledger

Ledger

• Normal Members
  • 3369 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 23:47

Is it possible to automate a plug like Kontakt (which uses MIDI for all it's various knobs/sliders and controls) with this Tool?

I guess you would have to add the MIDI control device, but set the sliders up yourself.  The rotary will work as normal on the selected device/ property though, just not the [G] grab button. 

Edited by Ledger, 13 January 2016 - 23:48.

--> Lua for newbies <--

My Scripts On Forum

Top Tip!

#36 Ledger

Ledger

• Normal Members
  • 3369 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 03:10

New update,

added a new button that adds an Instrument automation device to the track if none are present or selects the last present one in the track..

Auto Slider +.PNG

http://forum.renoise...er/#entry337874

edit: 0.82 now on tools site aswell.

v0.82

-Added a [+] button that selects the last Instrument Automation Device present on the track.  If none are present then a new one is added

Edited by Ledger, 10 January 2017 - 15:44.

• Akiz likes this

--> Lua for newbies <--

My Scripts On Forum

Top Tip!

#37 thalamus

thalamus

Big Daddy Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 21:14

Ledger,

Ideally I'd like to just be able to use the wheel to dial a number into whatever the current line is in the pattern editor.. 

The automation writing wheel only seems to write to the automation envelope, not to the pattern effect numbers. I could have sworn I had this working before .. Can you think of anything I might have set up wrong?

Edited by thalamus, 21 January 2017 - 21:16.

#38 Ledger

Ledger

• Normal Members
  • 3369 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 00:06

Afraid this one only works on envelopes.  The tool I wrote that adds pattern data is note properties (only vel/pan/delay though):

http://forum.renoise...es/#entry318163

--> Lua for newbies <--

My Scripts On Forum

Top Tip!

#39 thalamus

thalamus

Big Daddy Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 15:26

I can use your automation tool to 'bring to light' the control on the VST GUI from the sea of possible controls, then use the standard Renoise controls to add that param to the pattern data. Thats a workaround.

I wonder if it's possible to transcribe automation window 'points' into the pattern data.  

It's just that generally I prefer to hammer numbers in rather than work with the curves or points in the auto editor .. but your method here of picking up a VST control and then manipulating it is awesome.

The perfect solution, for me, would be to write into the pattern data directly from the VST control :)

Thanks!

Edited by thalamus, 23 January 2017 - 15:33.

#40 Akiz

Akiz

Guruh Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 21:18

I would love to see an option to write modulation even if i dont move by the knob (so you can easily overdub previously recorded modulations) with some resolution setting (like write point for every 4 lines). Just idea )

#41 Ledger

Ledger

• Normal Members
  • 3369 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 03:48

I can use your automation tool to 'bring to light' the control on the VST GUI from the sea of possible controls, then use the standard Renoise controls to add that param to the pattern data. Thats a workaround.

I wonder if it's possible to transcribe automation window 'points' into the pattern data.  

It's just that generally I prefer to hammer numbers in rather than work with the curves or points in the auto editor .. but your method here of picking up a VST control and then manipulating it is awesome.

The perfect solution, for me, would be to write into the pattern data directly from the VST control :)

Thanks!

The transcribing to pattern could be done,  it could be a bit tricky on implementation due to the fx lanes allowing `any command anywhere` i.e. not having dedecated fx lanes for each command.  I `m sure some compromise would be possible though.

With writing from the VST control, afaik this couldn`t be done neatly with the current API.  Here`s the post from earlier in the thread after Djeroek was asking the same:

http://forum.renoise...er/#entry338328

I would love to see an option to write modulation even if i dont move by the knob (so you can easily overdub previously recorded modulations) with some resolution setting (like write point for every 4 lines). Just idea )

Certainly further improvements to consider. Needs the will/ time from me for a good burst of scripting though..

--> Lua for newbies <--

My Scripts On Forum

Top Tip!

#42 ffx

ffx

• Normal Members
  • 2869 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 12:04

Writing from vst control can be done and was already made in my tuned shortcuts tool. It works. But it is unstable, renoise can crash, especially with old vsts . Also renoise is in a strange way feedbacking the parameters and AFAIK u cannot properly filter this thru lua API. Maybe this feedbacking is also the cause for sporadic crashes.

Also tuned shortcuts can auto setup the automation device without any additional slider (stable).

Maybe u just join that code here?

Edited by ffx, 25 January 2017 - 12:09.

#43 Ledger

Ledger

• Normal Members
  • 3369 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 14:52

Would probably skip anything crashy, but I`ll have a look at the other code when I next get round to this,

cheers

--> Lua for newbies <--

My Scripts On Forum

Top Tip!

#44 thalamus

thalamus

Big Daddy Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 20:29

Well, it's pretty damn great as it is.. if it never changed it'd still be great.

#45 Ledger

Ledger

• Normal Members
  • 3369 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 20:06

Two new shortcuts added for faster browsing through your automated parameters.

They will open the automation lane if it isn`t already.  Unlike the tools gui selection method, you don`t have to choose the next device manually, these shortcuts just take you up and down the renoise automations list.

`AUS` Next Automated Parameter

`AUS` Previous Automated Parameter

Edited by Ledger, 08 August 2017 - 00:27.

--> Lua for newbies <--

My Scripts On Forum

Top Tip!

#46 Ledger

Ledger

• Normal Members
  • 3369 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 00:26

Now added `Duplicate Automation Selection` shortcut.  i.e. make a selection in the automation editor, press the shortcut and that selection repeated after itself.

Testing on this one is appreciated as it was a pain to implement, so any bugfixes would be much easier with the code fresh in my mind

`AUS` Duplicate Automation Selection"

duplicate selection auto.PNG

also recently added: 

Two new shortcuts added for faster browsing through your automated parameters.

They will open the automation lane if it isn`t already.  Unlike the tools gui selection method, you don`t have to choose the next device manually, these shortcuts just take you up and down the renoise automations list.

`AUS` Next Automated Parameter

`AUS` Previous Automated Parameter

act autos.png

Edited by Ledger, 10 August 2017 - 00:12.

--> Lua for newbies <--

My Scripts On Forum

Top Tip!

#47 danoise

danoise

Probably More God or Borg Than Human Member

• Renoise Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6330 posts
  • Interests:wildlife + urban trekking

Posted 08 August 2017 - 12:13

Writing from vst control can be done and was already made in my tuned shortcuts tool. It works. But it is unstable, renoise can crash, especially with old vsts . 

Are we talking a hard crash that takes down Renoise (with or without saving a backup), or a scripting error (with or without a warning message)? 

Devs need to know about anything that can take down the software like that...

Tracking with Stuff. API wishlist | Soundcloud

#48 Ledger

Ledger

• Normal Members
  • 3369 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 23:53

Right, I`ve just added this to 0.85 (without resolution control)

Treat as alpha:

Attached File  ledger.scripts.AutomationSingleSlider_V0.85.xrnx   25.38KB   3 downloads

Latch Mode.PNG

When enabled the the Latch mode button has two colours; red and orange.  When orange it means it is armed so the next time you use the large rotary the overdubbing will occur.  When the overdubbing is occuring it remains red.  It automatically goes back to orange (armed) when the transport stops or you change parameters.  You can also toggle it off again by re-pressing the button.

+ bugfix: also updated the automation writing function so that it will overwrite dots that occur between lines.

+ see a couple of posts up for new recent keyboard shortcuts

Edited by Ledger, 10 August 2017 - 02:52.

--> Lua for newbies <--

My Scripts On Forum

Top Tip!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tool, script, automation, 3.1, workflow, fx