One shot mode for phrases

A one shot mode for phrases would be nice to have.

1 Like

Isn’t that basically what turning off the loop option does?

Disable looping in the phrase properties.

In 3.0:
6242 renoise-3-0-1-phrase-loop.png

1 Like

Nope, the phrase still stops as soon as I release the key that triggers it.

Ahh, gotcha. In 3.0 you can enable the Hold feature, but in 3.1 this has been removed in favour of sustain pedal support, which arguably offers more flexible control over sustained notes while playing live.

I don’t have a sustain pedal, unfortunately. I would really just like to trigger a phrase as a one shot, that plays through until it’s done. Just like samples. Wasn’t the idea that phrases should behave like samples?

Anyway, I guess one can hack around it by assigning a midi controller that ignores note off messages…

Thanks for the answer.

Anyway, I guess one can hack around it by assigning a midi controller that ignores note off messages…

Which is often the case with drum pads… or you can simply check off the feature in the Renoise MIDI prefs:

http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Preferences#MIDI

• just don’t forget to set it back then :slight_smile:

i don’t like to use sustain pedal so i simulated it with this “one-liner” phrase: 00 C-5 M0 407F

with both, sample and phrase looped it plays infinitely after click on the phrase > button

the note (C-5) shall match with your sample base note

i don’t like to use sustain pedal so i simulated it with this “one-liner” phrase: 00 C-5 M0 407F

with both, sample and phrase looped it plays infinitely after click on the phrase > button

the note (C-5) shall match with your sample base note

My experience with using the sustain control (M0 40) in both the pattern and phase editor is that although it does make the individual notes in the phrase sustain, it does not let the phrase complete to the end if the phrase gets cut short for some reason. Notes are still getting cut off.

I’m looking into how to make all the notes in the whole phrase trigger one-shot, even if the phrase gets cut short.

Basically think of the whole phrase as a single drum sample, an event that should not be cut off for any reason.

Live performance is one specific use for one-shot phrases, but I can think of many uses for one-shot phrases in composition.