[solved] Stepper silent on certain steps

Note: I’m using Renoise 3.1 beta on El Capitan.

When using stepper, certain steps are completely silent. It doesn’t matter which step value you set, and it doesn’t matter which filter you’re using (you can even use no filter whatsoever and it will simply not play some of the steps). I’ve attached a simple song demonstrating the problem.

In the volume modulation you have a stepper which is set to zero on the very first point. This will of course result in silent notes whenever that point is triggered.

So I just re-listened to the stepper bug renoise song I sent you and I noticed something interesting: Even though I changed the number of steps to 4, it is actually still playing steps 5, 6, 7, and 8 (listen carefully as you watch the stepper to see that I am correct about this). Hitting the reset button seems to solve the problem, but it makes me think there are situations where what the GUI is showing doesn’t represent the number of steps being cycled.

Even though I changed the number of steps to 4, it is actually still playing steps 5, 6, 7, and 8

I do not experience that problem here. It only plays through steps 1 to 4 as it should, and it sounds exactly like the MP3 you posted above.

Are there any other things you can think of which may be triggering the problem? Perhaps a certain sequence of events you’ve done, certain notes, playing or stopping the song in a certain way, etc?

So far, no. I have made a few more test songs and haven’t had this issue since, so maybe it was an error on my part.