Duplicating sample and drum-kit mappings

I have an instrument with 16 samples assigned chromatically starting from C-3. When I duplicate the first sample (at C-3), a new sample will correctly be created between the first and second sample, also assigned to C-3. However, all samples after this sample (i.e. starting from the old sample 2, which is not sample 3) will be shifted one semitone to the right. That is, which used to be sample 2, assigned to C-3# will all of a sudden be moved to D-3.

This, of course is completely unintended behaviour.

The bug seems to occur when the chromatic mapping was created by pressing the drumkit button. When creating it by hand, the bug does not seem to occur. I don’t really see why there is a different, but is there any way to convert a “drumkit” layout to a manual layout that looks exactly the same?

Nope, that was not it, it has to do with the root note of the sample. Something very strange is happening here…

In other words: Duplicate should do the same as Copy, Insert, Paste.

EDIT: I was again wrong Copy, Insert, Paste does also not work correctly all the time. It seems that sometimes the following notes are shifted and sometimes not. I could not figure out yet which circumstances lead to the shift. It seems arbitrary to me.

Now that the first RC is out, I would like to bump this, such that it does not slip through before the final comes out.

I can confirm that it’s the drumkit mode.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Have two samples in the keyzone, using drumkit layout. For example, mapped to C-3 and C#3

2. Hit duplicate. C#3 is pushed to the D-3 spot, but the new sample is inserted at C-3

Drumkit mode is easily exited when you start manually moving things around - or by duplicating samples.

However it would seem that the allocation of the keyzone happens_before_the drumkit mode is turned off.

This would explain why it happens after duplicating a sample in a drumkit layout - but only the first time

Mmh, then Renoise is randomly entering Drumkit mode on its own again or so, because even when exiting drumkit mode, it keeps on happening for me.

Or, in other words, I am not capable of creating an instrument with 16 samples assigned chromatically starting from C-3 in which copying any of the samples will not lead to this bug.

Danoise, could you create such an instrument that does not have the bug and upload it? I am curious what the difference is.

Mmh, then Renoise is randomly entering Drumkit mode on its own again or so, because even when exiting drumkit mode, it keeps on happening for me.

Here, the drumkit mode is exited once you start modifying the layout by duplicating a sample.
So, I’m only aware of the issue happening once, after which samples are stacked when duplicating them (as they should).

Perhaps there’s more to this issue, but that’s all I have been able to figure out.

Yeah, as I said, for me it happens consistently (not only once) and I am not able to stop it from doing it at all, whenever all my samples are chromatically ordered. This goes so far that I had to introduce fake “sample groups” (empty samples mapped to the very first octave) in my DrumPads template, only to have copying samples working there.

Would be great if this could be fixed before final.

Yeah, as I said, for me it happens consistently (not only once) and I am not able to stop it from doing it at all…

as far as I remember from the introduction of the ‘drumkit’ option, once you have pressed it once in an instrument, subsequent importing/loading of samples will automatically map them like you’d press the drumkit button after each load. Maybe you have saved a template song where this was done for the available instruments in the instrument list?

I tried to create a template several times, but it always ends up with this bug at some point. Without ever pressing the drumkit button. I don’t know, maybe Renoise enters drumkit mode automatically when it detects chromatically mapped samples or so.

Renoise automatically manages mappings which “look like” drum-kit mapping, and applies their original drum-kit settings too. It does this by deducing settings from the mappings itself, so when for example the first mapping is at C-3 and mappings are only found at white keys, it will use those settings and not the actual ones from the preferences.

In this case, when duplicating or copy pasting a sample, there’s a conflict: Inserting a new sample slot will first auto-expand the drum kit mappings, but copy/pasting a sample will then duplicate the original sample’s mappings too (layering it on top of the original). As soon as it did that, the mappings are no longer a drum-kit mapping, so it won’t try to automatically create drum-kit mappings anymore.

Not sure what behavior works better in most cases. Enforcing drum-kit mappings, or copy/pasting the original mapping. I guess fladd wants in this example the drum-kit to be extended.

In doubt I would not change the existing behavior.

Mmh, I simply want to be able to layer drums. Right now it seems that drumkit mode is preventing me from actually doing this…seems a bit ironic.

I would highly suggest to never enforce anything the user does not want. If I want to be in drumkit mode, I would click on it explicitely.

Alternatively, could you tell me what to change in the xml of the instrument to stop it from being in drumkit mode?

As I said before, I was unable to create a drum instrument, mapped chromatically, where duplicating lead to the expected behaviour.

Not sure what behavior works better in most cases. Enforcing drum-kit mappings, or copy/pasting the original mapping.

Well, when I click on “copy”, then copying the original mapping seems to be the obvious behaviour, no? Isn’t “copying” the process of exact duplication? I honestly cannot think of a situation in which I would expect a “copy” to be something other than the duplication of the thing I “copied” from. Nor can I think of a situation in which I want a sample copied to the next higher note while at the same time pushing all subsequent notes also one note further. I am sure this latter behaviour has good historical reasons, in which case I would suggest to simply offer both actions: “copy (extend)” and “copy (inplace)” or something. (And/or maybe explain to me and potentially others how to create a chromatic mapping that is not in drumkit mode, such that copying will work correctly for all samples of that instrument; example instruments for self-inspection are also very welcome).