MIDI feedback - Launchpad Pro - Duplex

As plugins that generates MIDI now work in 3.1, I was wondering if that could also hint at a soon-ish implementation of MIDI feedback between Renoise and other hardware/software?
I have a MIDI fighter twister and a Launchpad Pro (both not having a Duplex preset) that would immensly benefit from this feature in live situations.
Is it feasible in the near future?

As plugins that generates MIDI now work in 3.1, I was wondering if that could also hint at a soon-ish implementation of MIDI feedback between Renoise and other hardware/software?
I have a MIDI fighter twister and a Launchpad Pro (both not having a Duplex preset) that would immensly benefit from this feature in live situations.
Is it feasible in the near future?

I don’t think it would be hard to implement MIDI feedback (bidirectional communication between computer and controller) for either controller.
I’ll be working a bit on Duplex today, so I could start by making a controlmap for each one - a basic description of the layout that you could play around with.

New release of Duplex, with preliminary support for the Twister:
http://www.renoise.com/tools/duplex

midi_fighter_twister.png?raw=1

For now, it’s very basic, just a controlmap hooked up to the Effect application.
It’s using the "Bank 1"factory settings as specified here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-QvIds_FsH3Z0ZLT041VnZfOTA/view

I’m curious if you could try it out, take a look at the configuration files etc. ?

Of course man, I’ll check this tonight when I have the time. Thanks a lot!

Ok I tried the script and the dial worked after I fixed a channel problem in the MF_Twister.xml file: “CC#x|Ch 0” was the parameter value for every dial, and should have been “CC#x|Ch 1” (same thing for the button parameter value “CC#x|Ch 1” that should have been “CC#x|Ch 2”).

The first encoder button value was “CC#1|Ch2” but should have been “CC#0|Ch2”.

Here is the corrected file if you didn’t understood what I meant: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ot3bxpyjb6rg7o/MF_Twister.xml?dl=0

thanks again :slight_smile:

Cool. The unit seems pretty straightforward until you dive into the color assignment stuff.

Ok I tried the script and the dial worked after I fixed a channel problem in the MF_Twister.xml file

So not only can you recieve events but Renoise is actually able to set the values on the MIDI Fighter?

Thinking ahead, I wonder what to do with those encoder push buttons. I mean, you’d want them to do something, right?

In the context of the Effect application, perhaps have them snap the parameter back to a default value, enabling “fine adjustments” (would only work in relative CC mode), or enabling automation recording while pressed?

None of these mappings are actually implemented ATM, I would just to hear what you think.

Edit: in fact, nothing would prevent you from running a different application on those knobs. It’s just that it seems obvious that the “turning” would be somehow related to the “pressing” - and right now, the Effect application doesn’t really have any functionality that applies on the parameter level (apart from adjusting the value, of course).

Also, it would be interesting to hear if you are able to run the unit with both absolute and relative CC assignments. You would need to adjust both the MIDI Fighter (via it’s editor software, I guess) and the Duplex control-map. I can of course help out with the last bit…

So not only can you recieve events but Renoise is actually able to set the values on the MIDI Fighter?

Yes, it works in both directions.

Thinking ahead, I wonder what to do with those encoder push buttons. I mean, you’d want them to do something, right?

In the context of the Effect application, perhaps have them snap the parameter back to a default value, enabling “fine adjustments” (would only work in relative CC mode), or enabling automation recording while pressed?

None of these mappings are actually implemented ATM, I would just to hear what you think.

I don’t know if assigning enable automation recording to those push button is the best idea, because when those are pressed, it’s harder to do quick and wild parameter changes, you know? having used the twister in Traktor, I found the best way to use them is mainly to enable fine adjustments as you suggested, but at the same time, it depend the type of user: I personnaly prefer to have smooth changes, and hate it when paramers values jumps. Could a feature like a modifier be integraded on the side buttons, switching between “reset value” or “fine adjust” types of behavior (the changing value of this modifier could also manifest itself in a changing color, to prevent errors)?

And I think that another great use of the sides buttons would be just selecting tracks.

Also, it would be interesting to hear if you are able to run the unit with both absolute and relative CC assignments. You would need to adjust both the MIDI Fighter (via it’s editor software, I guess) and the Duplex control-map. I can of course help out with the last bit…

I’ll see if it’s posible.

EDIT: it doesn’t really change anything for relative CC, as the MIDI messages from the twister are the same as before, the only difference is that now the parameter that’s selected “sticks” to the middle of its value when the knob value is situated around the middle (don’t know how to explain it better).

EDIT: when the twister is in “ENC 3FH/41H” (absolute cc assignments) the parameter value jumps from wherever it is to around 64 (from 63 to 65 depending which direction the knob is turned to). When the parameter in Renoise is changed, the knob acts like in a default fashion.