Photo

[fixed b6] Storing A/B preset with VSTs may take a long time or freeze

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ffx_*

Guest_ffx_*

Composes without Wires burns Directly from Brain to DVD that is already in Store Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3521 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 23:37

If you use a vst that has a huge fxp preset data, like a convolution reverb, and use it in a project with quite a cpu load, Renoise will hang ~ 1 of 3 times while storing the preset to quick A/B. Tested on OSX version.

Edited by Guest, 19 November 2015 - 23:38.

#2 Guest_ffx_*

Guest_ffx_*

Composes without Wires burns Directly from Brain to DVD that is already in Store Member

• Normal Members
  • 3521 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 09:09

Hello ladies,

you got me wrong.

I mean that it does not hang just a few seconds! That would be OK.

It hangs forever, I have to force quit renoise then.

#3 taktik

taktik

Renoise Developer

• Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15040 posts
  • Interests:füße waschen

Posted 20 November 2015 - 09:11

Which plugin does that happen with then?

#4 Guest_ffx_*

Guest_ffx_*

• Normal Members
  • 3521 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 09:17

For example waves ir, this "b2" reverb, ozone... It's not a specific vendor, it happens, if the project takes constant CPU load and the plug in has a huge amount of data/is quite complex. No sandbox activated, no bridging involved.

#5 Guest_ffx_*

Guest_ffx_*

• Normal Members
  • 3521 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 12:39

Ah I forgot to mention:

Happened so far in 32 bit mode. Did 64 bit used only few times so far, so I cannot say if it is the same there or not.

#6 taktik

taktik

Renoise Developer

• Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15040 posts
  • Interests:füße waschen

Posted 23 November 2015 - 15:41

We've instantiated the plugin a few times to create and to load the preset data. This was done because this usually doesn't hurt, was the easiest way of doing this, and really should not cause crashes or "freezes". If it does, there is something fishy happening in the plugins when loading multiple instances quickly in a row.

On the other hand it also is not "necessary" to instantiate plugins to load or store such presets, so I've fixed that now in order to speed up storing/restoring A/B presets for plugins. Never could replicate the freezing, so please give this another try in the next beta. If it's still happening, it's quite likely some other problem...

#7 Guest_ffx_*

Guest_ffx_*

• Normal Members
  • 3521 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 13:15

Glad you looked into this. Quite annoyed me a long time (only in some projects).

Is it possible, that if I use some synth with a memory leak (filling memory over time), using 32 bit version (so limited to 4gb ram), it will hang if no more memory was left for that temporary instancing?

Anyway, nice that you removed that instancing.