Mini sampler as modulation source (Native complex FM, AM synthesis)

It would be fantastic to have a mini sampler/audio file player as a modulation source within modulation sets.

I am envisioning a simple file player with loop point options, pitch scaling, pitch to keyboard scaling, etc. Although of course something as fully featured as the waveform editor would be ideal…

This would allow for native complex FM and AM synthesis within renoise instruments, and seems (from my position of ignorance) like a fairly simple thing to implement. I mean, it would just be reading sample amplitude values and using them as the modulation source, right? Not very processor heavy, I’d guess…

This would open up whole new vistas of sound design within renoise.

Which would be awesome!

Please tell me why this wouldn’t work, or isn’t practical, or is not a reasonable development priority… I know a lot of people like to use native dsp as much as possible for sound design, and this seems like this would be a huge improvement in terms of flexibility.

peace and beats!

great idea

+1

my version of your idea: a simple 2op FM/crossmod between samples with amount automation. i think this could fit nicely in the 3.x instrument layout (using instrument envelopes/lfo’s for amount)

and a bit more unrealistic: an extra menu in the instrument editor with a matrix à la FM8 where you can freely route samples + feedback

I would love a full-featured implementation of FM synthesis within Renoise, with modulation algorithms, etc.

But, if we had waveform player as an option for a modulation source different algorithms could be done within modulation sets, and operand could be used to scale the amount of FM applied to the carrier.

I suspect it would be easier to just insert a waveform player modulation source, than to rewrite the the architecture behind the way that samples interact within an instrument. Does that make sense?

I just see this as a simple way to get real FM and complex AM into renoise. A waveform player could also do interesting things when applied as a modulation source to the filter section or panning section as well.

yeah i like your idea but i don’t think control signals can be run at audio rate and it seems a waste of CPU if you want to have some anti-alias or oversampling going on (which you probably might need for fast modulation)

Also with the new sample player interpolation + new instrument layout/philosophy i think this would work better on instrument level (imho)

i’m no dsp expert at all but i think it is easier to write a basic oversampled fm or crossmod engine on sample/instrument level instead of running the control signal system in Renoise at audio rate + have some oversampling going on.

but on the other hand, a waveform player as lfo source would be nice too :slight_smile:

I would love a full-featured implementation of FM synthesis within Renoise, with modulation algorithms, etc.

But, if we had waveform player as an option for a modulation source different algorithms could be done within modulation sets, and operand could be used to scale the amount of FM applied to the carrier.

I suspect it would be easier to just insert a waveform player modulation source, than to rewrite the the architecture behind the way that samples interact within an instrument. Does that make sense?

I just see this as a simple way to get real FM and complex AM into renoise. A waveform player could also do interesting things when applied as a modulation source to the filter section or panning section as well.

audio rate modulation would be really cool, however it’s implemented.

i’d be happy with a basic waveform set really.

After all these years , I can only say that the developers like to play it safe .

For synthesis look elsewhere …really

Renoise isn’t going anywhere in dsp land . .