Polyphony

OK, maybe this is really evident, but… I’ve been doing music with Renoise for years, but when I wanted to change it, I could not find an option to set the max polyphony and note stealing options of a sampled instrument?

I’m having this issue as well. I could have sworn I remembered setting a max polyphony in Renoise in the past but now I can’t find it anywhere. I’ve looked in 3.0 and 3.1

isn’t it unlimited?

Yep, but we’re looking for the setting to change the max to something lower so that when you hit that max, the previously played notes trigger note-off. I thought I remember it being near the global instrument pitch/volume/mono settings or maybe even near the sample properties.

Maybe you mean NNA in the Sample Properties? (You might need to expand it with that little arrow bottom left.)

From what I understand, the NNA decides what happens to the old note when a new one is triggered, but I’m looking to set the max number of notes that can be played simultaneously. Thanks for the help.

Are we talking about a sample-based instrument?

Currently, a single “voice” (as triggered by a note) is composed from a max of 12 layered samples.

Of course, you can trigger more than one note, so the number of samples playing can become pretty high (even higher if the note is triggering a phrase).

Either way, I guess. Imagine playing and holding every note of a piano low to high. At some point I want the lowest notes to stop playing as new ones are pressed. It’s a pretty common setting and I’m pretty sure it was available in Renoise. You can see here on Logic Pro’s EXS24 sampler they have a Voices setting http://www.apple.com/logic-pro/plugins-and-sounds/#keyboard-sounds . So maybe my terminology is a little off - I’m looking to limit voices for a particular instrument.

I also vaguely remember this to be possible. Seems to have been replaced with the mono button…

Either way, I guess. Imagine playing and holding every note of a piano low to high. At some point I want the lowest notes to stop playing as new ones are pressed. It’s a pretty common setting and I’m pretty sure it was available in Renoise. You can see here on Logic Pro’s EXS24 sampler they have a Voices setting http://www.apple.com/logic-pro/plugins-and-sounds/#keyboard-sounds . So maybe my terminology is a little off - I’m looking to limit voices for a particular instrument.

Ah, OK. The maximum number of stacked samples isn’t reallya “polyphony” setting - more like the number of oscillators that make up a single voice in a synthesizer.

So, since we’re talking notes, yes, it’s virtually unlimited. If you’re using a plugin, it depends on the capabilities of the synth. Otherwise, you are good to trigger as many voices as your computer can handle. You can route the synth to a specific track to break out of the 12 note-column limitation.

For a moment I thought you were talking about reaching some sort of equilibrium between the amount of notes in the pattern and how many notes the instrument can handle. This would actually be quite cool - letting Renoise do the voice-allocation while you’re recording, instead of afterwards.

It would be a pretty nice idea to be able to define the maximum number of notes a given instrument can play back.

Imagine for example some complex instrument, lots of samples and modulations going on. Expecially with the new 3.1 filters being a tad heavier (I feel this, but haven’t measured of course) Now pair this with a long release stage - and quickly play some notes after each other. You will see the cpu load rises pretty hard! If you could restrict the number of notes in polyphony, you could kind of control the maximum cpu load the instrument has in a real time context.

It can be nice up to really important to not get dropouts, and be able to vaguely control it, expecially in a live performance where you want to make sure that slightly tripping over a cable and hitting the midi keyboard with the forearm will just sound strange (shout “hey” and “hands up” to the crowd afterwards, and they will forgive you) but won’t glitch up the renoise it is connected to with all other instruments playing in it at that time or possibly even other audio software running on that computer.

But even when working at the desk it is annoying to have glitches because of this, and can make working with long-release fragment clouds tedious. And old notes in release stage won’t be noticeable unter the newer notes anyways, unless you fake echoes in tracker envelope style, or stuff like that. You could still set it back to “unlimited” for rendering, or hide the setting so only the moles find it when digging for dirt, and have it the current way by default if you think it is suitable.

The usual scheme to stop (or “steal”) voices could probably be to first replace the oldest notes in release stage by new notes, and if there aren’t any release stage voices then notes in all other states by order of age.

Whoa I thought the 12 sample limit was per instrument, not per note! How does this apply to phrases? Can every column in a single phrase trigger 12 samples?!

So, to be clear, this isn’t and has never been a feature? That’s so weird! I feel like it would be such a great tool, because if you’re recording a part, it would automatically limit the number of note columns your part would take up and could even extend into some sort of “smart ordering” of which note falls into which column? Make sense? So the new notes would automatically be placed in the column of the note being replaced instead of adding yet another column - and suddenly you’re dealing with a single track that takes up the whole screen because you let a few notes sustain over a chord. I know it’s far more complicated to include in a build than this brainstorm but I think it would be pretty useful. Or at least worth looking into.