Akai APC Key 25: Duplex doesn't work properly

Setup: Renoise 3.0.1 with current version of Duplex

I have some trouble making duplex do what I want:

• Scheduling patterns doesn’t work, despite being switched on in the settings.
  • When using the recorder, the recording dialog pops up, I can record a sample, but it won’t be played back after finishing it. Again: Despite Autoplay being turned on in the settings. The manual says:"When the recording dialog has been opened, a sample slot will start to blink slowly."That doesn’t happen either.

I hope that you can help me with this because I don’t know what to do with this anymore.

What controller (and configuration) are you using?

Recorder works perfectly here with the Launchpad, just checked.

Have you enabled the song playback when using the Recorder? This is essential - the “blinking” is synchronized to beats in Renoise to indicate this.

Also, make sure the recording settings are set up like specified (create new instrument on each take, sync start/stop with pattern)

To launch patterns I use a remapped version of the APC 40 that I made fit my Akai APC Key 25.

For the recording I am using the Mackie control (simulation) since it was the first controller I found that had the record function. I plan on integrating it into my own mapping for the Akai APC Key 25 as soon as it works.

The recording settings are set up as specified and the song is playing while recording. The Problem remains.

I tried using a completely fresh installation of Duplex on a different Renoise instance on a different PC. (Renoise 3.0.1 + com.renoise.Duplex.1.0.API4_.xrnx + WIN 10 (the first PC runs on WIN 7))

Still nothing.

I really hope that this is just some stupid configuration mistake that I made. Isn’t it very unlikely that the same Problem occurs on two different machines each with brand new instances of the software…?

To launch patterns I use a remapped version of the APC 40 that I made fit my Akai APC Key 25.

Does the scheduling work if you’re clicking the on-screen version (Duplex browser)?
Could you share the files you’ve made? Controlmap, device configuration…

For the recording I am using the Mackie control (simulation) since it was the first controller I found that had the record function. I plan on integrating it into my own mapping for the Akai APC Key 25 as soon as it works.

I think it’s more intuitive to use a ‘grid’ style controller for this particular application. Tricky to ‘dial in’ specific recordings using a fader.
I would highly recommend either making a proper configuration for the APC, or using one of the existing configuration for grid ctrls such as the Launchpad/monome/etc. Easier to adapt to the APC as well :slight_smile:

Well, I guess I misunderstood the scheduling. I wanted it to work in GridPie mode to add single elements after each other. Now I saw that its only available in Matrix mode where I can schedule whole patterns. (sorry for mixing it up before…) Is there any chance to make GridPie work like it does in Ableton?
(EDIT: A little more specific: Add tracks (not patterns) in a scheduled way. And also a way to load a whole row of patterns at once.)

About the recording: As you suggested I tried recording using the Launchpad and yes: It flashes yellow, I can press it to start recording. But afterwards it won’t play back my recording. (Sidenote: In the manual it said that it would rename the new samples in a specific way that indicates which track it would be used on. This is not the case. Its just “Recorded Sample 01”.)

Thanks so much for your effort!

A little more specific: Add tracks (not patterns) in a scheduled way. And also a way to load a whole row of patterns at once.)

GridPie allows you to switch an entire set of tracks at once by holding a button pressed. So that’s easy.
Individual scheduling, on the other hand, is damn complex. Not impossible, but I never found the time to implement it.

Sidenote: In the manual it said that it would rename the new samples in a specific way that indicates which track it would be used on. This is not the case. Its just “Recorded Sample 01”.

OK, that’s interesting. Here, the samples are named something like “Track #2 - Recording #1” and plays just fine. Seems that something prevents the recorder from picking up the samples as they arrive.
Makes me wonder what the difference between our setups could possibly be?

GridPie allows you to switch an entire set of tracks at once by holding a button pressed. So that’s easy.
Individual scheduling, on the other hand, is damn complex. Not impossible, but I never found the time to implement it.

Thanks, that helps a lot. I hope that this will be part of Duplex one soon. :wink:

Makes me wonder what the difference between our setups could possibly be?

To get the developer tools I had to rewrite the renoise Config.xml. Unfortunately Renoise overwrote it everytime I restarted it, so I had to write-protect it. I just unchecked the box and restarted Renoise and somehow now I still got the developer tools AND the recorder works properly. Just for science I write-protected the Config.xml again and somehow everything still works fine…

Thanks so much, you’re awesome!!

One more thing: to load a different mode I can press “left” and “right”. My APC Key25 doesn’t have these, instead it has a switch button. While I press it I can choose between 5 different modes via 5 different buttons. Is there a way to implement this to my Key25-mapping?

Just for science I write-protected the Config.xml again and somehow everything still works fine

Ah, good thing you picked that up (I would never have guessed…)
But you really shouldn’t write protect that file. The reason it gets overwritten is because you are modifying the while while Renoise is open.
If you are planning to modify it, simply exit the software first, do the edits and restart.

One more thing: to load a different mode I can press “left” and “right”. My APC Key25 doesn’t have these, instead it has a switch button. While I press it I can choose between 5 different modes via 5 different buttons. Is there a way to implement this to my Key25-mapping?

If everything that switch does is to make the APC output various MIDI messages, then yes, this should not be a problem to support.
Check in the Renoise MIDI console what the values are, and add them to the controlmap…for example “CC#25” or “C#3|Ch1”, and so on.

If everything that switch does is to make the APC output various MIDI messages, then yes, this should not be a problem to support.

Unfortunately the messages of the buttons don’t change, I already checked that.

Is there a way around it?

Is it possible to use a setup like

if (A is pressed) {

B does function X;

} else {

B does function Y;

}

I don’t know any lua…

Sounds like you could use “states”.

States are a Duplex invention which allows you to “rewrite” the controlmap on-the-fly, using special XML nodes and attributes.
One such example would be the “Launchpad Keyboard” configuration which allows you to toggle two extra 4x4 grids on and off.

Of course, the documentation is nearly non-existent but I will be happy to help you.

Hi all,

I just got the apc key 25 as a christmas present,

does somebody could share a working duplex preset for it?

Thank you very much!

Never mind, i returned it to amazon; too pricey for what it is.