Raul (ulneiz)

Guruh Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 12:31

"Note-Off" not erased with copy and paste

Renoise 3.1RC2, W7 64bit

I do not know if is an inconsistent behavior or something to fix for future version final of Renoise 3.1...

The "Note-Off" is associated with a "Note". Renoise delete the Note-Off already placed if you insert the Note-Off into another cell associated forever for a Note, using Caps Lock or A-key (but do not using copy & paste). Such that a Note always corresponds one Note-Off.

The problem is with Copy & Paste:

Steps (a example):

1. In Pattern Editor or Phrases, write a "Note" in cell five, column one.
  2. Write a "Note-Off" in cell seven, column one (Caps Lock or A-key).
  3. Select cells five, six and seven
  4. Copy and paste the three cells with the cursor in cell four (above one cell of the selection).

What happens:

• The Note-Off in cell seven is not deleted.
  • The consequence: Renoise allows two or more Note-Off for a Note.
  • If you repeat the steps to infinity, you can create an entire column filled with Note-Off using copy & paste (including previously selecting only the Note-Off for copy & paste).

Renoise should not erase the Note-Off leftover also using the copy & paste? Can it be corrected?

Congratulations for RC2!!!

Regards

:excl: Development of my tool: GT16-Colors

:excl: My API wishlist R3.1 (updated 24 July 2017):

Spoiler

:excl: My Renoise 3.1 wishlist (updated 18 July 2017):

Spoiler

#2 ffx

ffx

Guruh Motha Fakka is Levitating and Knows Everything About Renoise Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2871 posts
  • Interests:Renoise sidechaining, macOS fanboying

Posted 30 December 2015 - 17:39

Reported that too, years ago.... The answer was "it's not a bug, it's a feature ".

Still no clue, why that inconsistency exists... I think renoise even doesn't fire the second note off to a vsti.

MacOS 10.12.6 Retina, Renoise 3.1 64 bit   -   Tuned Shortcuts | Multi-Jump From/To Send | Quick Template | Insert Native DSP Menu (incl. deprecated)

#3 Djeroek

Djeroek

Probably More God or Borg Than Human Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6697 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 18:57

https://www.renoise....clear-junk-data

#4 Raul (ulneiz)

Raul (ulneiz)

Guruh Member

• Normal Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 20:10

Hi ffx and Djeroek

This item was moved today by a moderator. Before was in the subforum: "Renoise 3.1 Beta - Help, Support & Bugs". I consider it a mistake or something inconsistent, incongruous, should be corrected.

For me this issue is pointless. It is not a feature, but rather a failure. It is something that should not exist.

Using copy and paste, you can create many Note-Offs trash, are useless. It makes no sense. If it's a feature, not useful.

I understand that a note can only cut one turn, not two turn or three. If not in this manner, someone explain to me, please.

note-off-copy&paste.png

Is this a feature?

Spoiler

Spoiler

#5 ffx

ffx

Guruh Motha Fakka is Levitating and Knows Everything About Renoise Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2871 posts
  • Interests:Renoise sidechaining, macOS fanboying

Posted 30 December 2015 - 20:44

Maybe, if the note-off layer or midi event is "misused" for other stuff than a note-off? But then, why the other is deleted if manually added as singleton? Still no clue... Taktik will know.

MacOS 10.12.6 Retina, Renoise 3.1 64 bit   -   Tuned Shortcuts | Multi-Jump From/To Send | Quick Template | Insert Native DSP Menu (incl. deprecated)

#6 Raul (ulneiz)

Raul (ulneiz)

Guruh Member

• Normal Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 21:04

Maybe, if the note-off layer or midi event is "misused" for other stuff than a note-off? But then, why the other is deleted if manually added as singleton? Still no clue... Taktik will know.

Therefore it is not consistent! "Caps Lock" or "A-key" ....... and "Copy&Paste" should not work the same way? One cleared and the other not? What is the utility of this?

Maybe the internal code of Copy&Paste allowing automatic deletion is more complicated. With A-key or Cap Lock just change one cell. With Copy&Paste you can paste many cells with data. But it was not an excuse.

But I think that Renoise should prevent enter or preserve values that do not serve. Renoise must correct the user, not the user to Renoise.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Pattern Editor, Phrases, Note-Off, Copy & Paste