Optional AllSounds/NotesOff for MIDI devices?

Brief description

Using external Synthesizers (Zynaddsubfx for example) the recording (realtime) results in problems.

Renoise is sending on all channels NoteOff and SoundOff signals right before the recording, which lets ZynaddsubFx crash. Obviously this is not really a problem of renoise, BUT in the MIDI configuration section you have options for recording. But it does not seem they have any effect.

Steps to reproduce

• Start Jack (or Rewire I guess)
  • Start a synthesizer (hardware or Zynaddsubfx for example)
  • add the synthesizer as an MIDI Instrument in renoise
  • Add a Line Input which connects to the MIDI Instrument output.
  • Play around, should make a sound.
  • Turn off all Options in the Preference MIDI Section about recording : Velocities, Notes Off, …
  • Make every output (except the midi clock) visible in the MIDI Tab.
  • Clear the MIDI output History there.
  • Render this thing to a file (you should put in some notes of this MIDI instrument), in realtime.

Expected results

The file will be rendered, and just the notes I’ve put in the project will be send to the MIDI instrument.

Actual results

Before and after recording renoise sends NoteOff and SoundOff Signals to the MIDI Instrument, on all MIDI Channels.

I mean it is obvious that it makes sense to clean everything before recording, but it would be great to have an option to turn this behavior off. Or maybe I’m miss-understanding the whole thing.

The options in the MIDI preferences are applied to anything that goes !into! Renoise only. So “Recording” means playback and recording of MIDI events that you sent to Renoise - like your master keyboard.

sending on all channels NoteOff and SoundOff signals right before the recording, which lets ZynaddsubFx crash

This looks like the “real” problem here? Surely will be addressed/fixed in ZynaddsubFx if you report it to them.

Yeah, you’re right, I’ll send them a bug-report.