Wannabe Producer

I wanna produce like the cool guys! :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, it’s another attempt of getting some nice deep bass sounds and modern production techniques. I think i’m closing in on the sound i want, but still a way to go to fully master these things…

So, will i ever get there? What do i do right and what do i do wrong?

https://soundcloud.com/thebellows/wannabe-producer

Nice deep bass sounds indeed!

Although it is modern, i think it is much more interesting than what I consider has now become a little commonplace.

As far as mastering goes, that can take a while to master :wink:

Many engineers I have noticed admit that it may take 10+ years before a real understanding/proficiency develops and that any decent engineer should admit they are always learning.

I know I am still developing and am most likely not really in a position to give the constructive criticism that you may desire.

I can however give you this small piece of advice, keep working on it, keep pushing and you will get there, wherever your there may be.

For I believe talent is a pursued interest. It matters most that you keep going.

Good work, I enjoyed that!

Edit: My tired brain turned half of your introduction into a topic about mastering in the sense of engineering and not in the sense of becoming adept in something. Need more sleep :smashed:

I like this a lot, especially the last couple of minutes.

Lol, very fancy to listen to with headphones. You exaggerated certain depth techniques by purpose, and this makes all the elements kind of stand by themselves in the stereo image, easily distinguishable from each other…yet the middle of the stereo feels empty in a spooky way.

Hehe, how many corus/phaser devices stick in this tune?

You forgot 2 things, though, that real cool producers usually do. If they are very cool. One is the hyperactive frightened reverb tail, that puts bright spacy clouds everywhere, but is so scared by all the effects that it quickly disappers whenever some sound comes close to its space in the mix…just to creep in again swiftly when there’s room again. And then put some more chorus/phaser devices on teh reverb!!!1 Oh, and that silly $$$ boombox that will automatically tune your bass freqs so they sound 2 octaves deeper than they really are…

Thanks guys, i’ll be working a lot on this mixing business and hopefully become a pro before i go deaf. :badteeth:

Hehe, how many corus/phaser devices stick in this tune?

One phaser. :wink:

Rest is side chaining and filter modulation…and a bunch of compressing, limiting, EQing and such. Had to overclock my PC to make it work. :stuck_out_tongue:

I really liked the sub and low end, well done.

My only real complaint is that you could have pushed the limiter a little harder. Most modern tracks have the waveform pushing right up the 0db line.

Example picture: http://imgur.com/dGwMK3F

(Take what I have to say with a grain of salt as I am not very experienced myself.)

yeah… anyway, neat music you make there.

Rock and roll, baby!!!

I really liked the sub and low end, well done.

My only real complaint is that you could have pushed the limiter a little harder. Most modern tracks have the waveform pushing right up the 0db line.

Example picture: http://imgur.com/dGwMK3F

(Take what I have to say with a grain of salt as I am not very experienced myself.)

Interesting you mention that as I do think a lot of people are concerned with loudness, though I think things are changing. For one, many are realizing that a track will still be compressed on things like I tunes and will sound poor in comparison to a more dynamic track.

As far as limiting or compression, I think it can be useful to act as a sort of glue and can be helpful to tame transients, which can be good to make a little more headroom. Though personally, I think it should be applied carefully as not to squash a track too much.

Anyways, just got my interest. Back to topic :wink:

I just started using ReNoise a few weeks ago, but I’ve been making music for 6 years. I’ve also studied classical music.

Here’s some advice on the actual musical content, not the technical stuff.

I suggest making your songs really drastic and diverse, and using that diversity to create emotional impact. For example, a drop with a buildup and release is more awesome than just a 4 minute drop. If everything sounds similar, then listeners get bored. This doesn’t just mean using different melodies. This means using different styles. Each section should sound like a different song, but with good transitions. Make your drops sound like drops, make your buildups sound like buildups, make your breakdowns sound like breakdowns, make your intros sound like intros, etc. However, they still have to be unified in some ways. Maybe with a common theme or a common melody.

Here’s some song structures I made up to illustrate the balance between repeated and new material:

A-B-C-B-D-B

A-B-C-D-B-C-D-C-B-E

A-B-C-D-C-B-E-C-E-D-E-A

A-B-C-A-B-D-A

The different letters represent different sections of music. Try not to copy/paste entire sections without editing them after. You always need to add some sort of a twist, even if it’s miniscule. Also, try not to make the beginning of the song first, because it turns into a bad habit.

Make sure the average listener can tell the difference between the sections of music, and that they can map out the song structure.

Listen to some songs and try to notice these things in them.

Approaching music this way might feel awkward at first, but it forces you to develop good habits. I know this from personal experience. Good luck!

I just started using ReNoise a few weeks ago, but I’ve been making music for 6 years. I’ve also studied classical music.

Here’s some advice on the actual musical content, not the technical stuff.

I suggest making your songs really drastic and diverse, and using that diversity to create emotional impact. For example, a drop with a buildup and release is more awesome than just a 4 minute drop. If everything sounds similar, then listeners get bored. This doesn’t just mean using different melodies. This means using different styles. Each section should sound like a different song, but with good transitions. Make your drops sound like drops, make your buildups sound like buildups, make your breakdowns sound like breakdowns, make your intros sound like intros, etc. However, they still have to be unified in some ways. Maybe with a common theme or a common melody.

Here’s some song structures I made up to illustrate the balance between repeated and new material:

A-B-C-B-D-B

A-B-C-D-B-C-D-C-B-E

A-B-C-D-C-B-E-C-E-D-E-A

A-B-C-A-B-D-A

The different letters represent different sections of music. Try not to copy/paste entire sections without editing them after. You always need to add some sort of a twist, even if it’s miniscule. Also, try not to make the beginning of the song first, because it turns into a bad habit.

Make sure the average listener can tell the difference between the sections of music, and that they can map out the song structure.

Listen to some songs and try to notice these things in them.

Approaching music this way might feel awkward at first, but it forces you to develop good habits. I know this from personal experience. Good luck!

I’ve been making music for 20 years and Renoise the past 9 years or so. :stuck_out_tongue:

Never studied music theory though and i have a rock background and i haven’t been much into these fancy drops stuff, but i guess you’re right that it would make it more dramatic. I think i’ll try to see if i can make a nice drop on my next tune.

Thanks for your tips Ambiseus and thanks for all the comments guys, makes it all much easier for me to get on the right track. :slight_smile:

Some pretty cool bass sounds in it for sure. Love it, especially the 2nd half!