Cpu usage for muted tracks - Mute Mode Options

Hi everybody,

I’m working on a song with a couple of plugin loaded, aside from the usual bunch of samples.

More precisesly i’ve got two razor instances and one massive instance. I know these are not the most cpu-easy plugin, so I did not worry when the song started stuttering and stopping for high cpu usage.

The problem is that even if I mute the tracks with the plugins the cpu still runs very high!
If I load the song and start a pattern where no plugin is playing everthing is ok, but as soon as I play a pattern with a plugin, since that moment every time I try to play the song in a few moments it stops due to cpu usage (even if I mute every track with plugins, even if i play an empty pattern).

I checked the “auto suspend when silent” but nothing appened.

Does anybody know what is happening?

thanks

lorenzo

i think you need firstly to try to turn off your plugins one-by-one and check the results and CPU monitor.
you may have some CPU heavy patches/ modes in your plugins.

also muting the track doesnt disables the plugin

even if I mute the tracks with the plugins the cpu still runs very high!

As oise mentioned above, when you “mute” a track it does not completely stop the plugins from being processed, it simply silences their output so you can quickly toggle the sound on/off while mixing or jamming live.

To completely prevent the plugin’s notes from being played, and thus prevent it from using any CPU, you should “off” the track instead.

When you mute the track by clicking in the track scopes, or via the mute button in the mixer, try holding LCtrl when you click instead. This will let you change between the “mute” and “off” states. You can also look in Preferences > Plug/Misc to choose which muting mode should be the default one.

6533 renoise-track-mute-off.png

To lower your CPU usage in general, you can probably tweak the settings of Razor and Massive to use a slightly lower quality processing mode, and also increase your latency/buffer size in the Renoise audio preferences, and maybe even use a lower sample rate overall?

I once struggled to explain this to a music-making friend, so I came up with this analogy:

MUTE is like a producer instantly turning down (muting) his mixing console. The sound is still playing, but you can’t hear it.

OFF is like a conductor telling his orchestra to stop playing. They will, but the sound will continue to resonate for a while.

Thank you guys for the help.

I’ll try and let you know!

To completely prevent the plugin’s notes from being played, and thus prevent it from using any CPU, you should “off” the track instead.

I would love to see such extra OFF state for plugins, too. For example, made a general template with some master bus stuff, which i tend to use every time. But those plugins take lot of additional latency, so I would like to enable at the very end. Currently I cannot add that to the template, because it totally messes up latency.

Is it possible to remove latency of plugins that are used on a track that was set to OFF?