Video for a song of mine, "TR3"

https://vimeo.com/154240550

Song released under my IRL name. Track produced using Renoise. I sampled my bass and guitar playing. The rest (other then the vocals) is Renoise instruments (maybe some stuff grabbed from freesound too).

Renoise was used in making the video as well.

I wrote code in Processing to load/scale/hide animated GIFs.

The GIFs themselves were made using Ruby code toglitchup someimagefiles, with ImageMagick used to generate the animated GIFs from sequences of the resulting files.

In order to get the images to appear in time with the music I added a track to the song file that simply emitted MIDI notes, with the Processing code as the receiver. I then used some screen-capture software (Screenflow) to record theresults. (Pro tip: If you’re doing this, render the song to wav first, then make a new song using that wav so you are not eating resources with Renoise also trying to processing pattern commands. The wav then guides where to put the MIDI notes)

I was running all of this on a mac mini, and it was quickly bogged down. TheGIFswere not moving as they did whenviewed on their own. Too sluggish.

My solution was to half the BPM of the song, record it, then double the speed of the video.

I was in a band in NYC in the late '70s and we played CBGB and Tier 3 (AKA TR3). TR3 was a more interesting place, more post-punk and avant-jazz than the more rock-focused CBGB. (My band’s posters appear in the video.)

Sadly, the place did not last very long.

Powerful work. Sound, lyric, footage are quite vivid. The sound is dissociative: along with footage, it distracts attention. I liked guitar solo which gradually comes into noise. “Lived in 4/4 entropy” is just carved in my brain. One listening is just not enough, during the second or even third time, the work is perceived in another way, more extensive, and you can distinguish more layers. Good luck in album production!

Powerful work. Sound, lyric, footage are quite vivid. The sound is dissociative: along with footage, it distracts attention. I liked guitar solo which gradually comes into noise. “Lived in 4/4 entropy” is just carved in my brain. One listening is just not enough, during the second or even third time, the work is perceived in another way, more extensive, and you can distinguish more layers. Good luck in album production!

Thank you very much!

I’m a fan of “dense” productions, hopefully rewarding repeat listening.

The second half of the guitar solo is played using a vibrating dildo, something I did in my band way back when. I still love the sound, so it turns up in current some pieces (though perhaps not soblatantlyas here). The poor man’s version of an E-Bow.

Fun fact: My Renoise avatar is from a picture of me playing vibrator guitar at CBGB.