[solved] Linux: Redux crash/freeze within Bitwig

SOLVED !!

Hi guys I can reproduce this bug every time on both my laptop and desktop both running Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit.

Simply open up a new instance of Redux as a plugin and on its own GUI press at least 1 key with the mouse, next try to open the folder icon which allows loading of presets , this results in an immediate freeze of Redux whic however does not bring down Bitwig and bitwig has no logs of any errors.

The serious part was when I noticed that all my Renoise instruments, tools etc had dissapeared completely with no trace on my system is the worrying part. So far this has only happened on my laptop.

So far on testing with Redux as a plugin within Renoise I have not been able to reproduce ( running the latest stable versions of Redux, Renoise and Bitwig.

heres the Redux log:

============================================================

Version : Renoise Redux V1.0.1 (Jun 24 2015)

Date : 2016-02-12

Time : 13:57:11

OS : Linux version 3.13.0-78-generic (buildd@lgw01-33) (gcc version 4.8.2 (Ubuntu 4.8.2-19ubuntu1) ) #122-Ubuntu SMP Mon Feb 1 23:11:33 UTC 2016

============================================================

VST Shell: Running in ‘Bitwig Bitwig Studio 1306’

System: Application path retrieved from dladdr: ‘//home/mikobuntu/.vst/renoise_redux.so’

System: Running from directory ‘//home/mikobuntu/.vst/’…

System: Using ‘//home/mikobuntu/.vst/renoise_redux.res/’ as local resource directory…

Redux: Initializing the API…

IPP: Detected CPU type: 0x46

File-IO: Enabling MP3 decoding support using system mpg123 library…

Graphport: Initializing Freeimage…

Graphport: Opening XDisplay ‘:0’ (configured via ‘DISPLAY’ env)…

Graphport: XDisplay was successfully opened

GraphPort: Loading cursor images (libXcursor is present)…

GraphPort: Initializing the Font Engine…

GraphPort: Enumerating system fonts…

Graphport: Initializing Keyboard mappings…

Graphport: Initializing XAtoms…

Application: Initializing Icon Bitmaps…

Application: Skipped high resolution icon image(s) (too less space for selection - cur: 28720, new: 524304, max: 262144)

Content Libraries: Found library ‘com.renoise.elements’

Content Libraries: Found library ‘com.renoise.psudaform’

Content Libraries: Found library ‘com.renoise.djeroek’

Application: Loading the preferences…

Application: Init…

DspDevices: Registering native DSP effects…

Application: Init OK

Redux: Creating plugin shell instance…

MIDI: No global MIDI actions found…

Osc: No global OSC actions found…

Player: Constructing…

Player: Start running…

VST Shell: Unsupported host canDo: receiveVstSysexEvent

VST Shell: Unsupported host canDo: MPE

VST Shell: Open plugin editor…

System: Application path retrieved from /proc/self/exe: ‘/opt/bitwig-studio/bin/BitwigPluginHost64’

Application: Caught signal:1 - Terminating…

VST Shell: Closing plugin editor…

VST Shell: Open plugin editor…

If you require any more info, testing etc please let me know and thanks :wink:

Thanks for the detailed bug report!

The serious part was when I noticed that all my Renoise instruments, tools etc had dissapeared completely with no trace on my system

This is strange - I think Redux is not to blame, but rather some other factor.

The reason is that tools are not shared between Redux and Renoise, only the “User Library” → instruments, DSP chains etc.

Still, if I had experienced this I would also be worried :huh:

Indeed this could be more of a Bitwig bug ( which I will report when I can debug a bit further ).

I have backups of most of my user presets etc so that is not too distressing at least :wink:

And yes very good forward planning by not sharing tools etc so much between Renoise and Redux, and users should already know to backup important material.

Ahhhh it seems that I have narrowed it down to loading Redux through Bitwigs popup browser as compared to dragging it from the side browser where there is no crash.

Sorry for wasting your time here, but it;s always good if all DAWs can be aware of potential problems and be able to workaround/fix them :wink: thanks

EDIT … ok seems this was more of an oversight on my behalf, I realise now that having an exception for Redux to run as an independant process in the Bitwig plugin preferences was causing this issue all along, I’m really unsure how my user presets were deleted tho, anyway I will mark this as solved . EDIT