Why can't Renoise write Zxx automatically into the FX column?

I really like the new “Program” mode for phrases in the new Renoise version, but why is it that Renoise can’t automatically write the Zxx command in the FX column for the selected phrase when we are in edit mode?

Would it not make sense to introduce a button below the Instruments window where you can toggle on/off whether the currently selected phrase should be written in the FX column? Right now it’s very cumbersome to manually write Zxx every time for each note, especially when you have multiple phrases that you trigger quite frequently in different positions.

I think the current behaviour - while being a vast improvement in its essence - slows down my workflow and I have to resort to “Keymap” to trigger different patterns on the spot (eg. drum patterns for breakbeats). We could lay down our ideas and patterns much faster if the Zxx command came instantly.

For now, this tool can help;http://www.renoise.com/tools/phrasemate

For now, this tool can help;http://www.renoise.com/tools/phrasemate

Thanks, but this tool is buggy. It can’t overwrite existing Zxx commands and will always jump back to the corresponding phrase in that line. You have to go ahead and delete the note and Zxx command before you can re-enter a new phrase…

I think a very basic and important feature like this needs a native solution, not a tool.

You can automate phrase program changes with the Instrument Macros device too. At the moment it’s a bit annoying though, because it doesn’t trigger the note that is on the same line as it, only notes from the next line onward, so you have to put it 1 line back.

If you click on the phrase name list and right click the phrase you want it will write the change into the pattern.

It can’t overwrite existing Zxx commands and will always jump back to the corresponding phrase in that line. You have to go ahead and delete the note and Zxx command before you can re-enter a new phrase…

Hm, this is an oversight. Replacing Zxx commands should be possible, let me look into that…

And yes, it would be great to have certain tools implemented natively. Not because “native is better”, but rather, that a tool such as phrasemate relies on monitoring changes to the pattern - and this can screw up the undo buffer. I think there’s only a couple of those around, though… :slight_smile:

Hm, this is an oversight. Replacing Zxx commands should be possible, let me look into that…

So you will fix this “bug”?

Also, I noticed the following sentence in the tool description: “When enabled, PhraseMate will listen for changes to the pattern and insert Zxx commands when/if it seems appropriate (or remove them if they are not required). It will only do so while you have the edit-mode enabled, and only while your selected instrument/phrase is set to program mode.”

What exactly does this mean? Can you possibly give a practical example of how this is supposed to work because right now I can’t imagine how a tool can know when something is appropriate to insert or delete without my decision.

Just a heads up to you guys, danoise has finally fixed this annoying issue in PhraseMate. Overwriting existing Zxx commands is now possible. :slight_smile:

Hey, thanks. There’s still a little room for some improvement though -

I found that PhraseMate can prevent manually entering values in the Zxx command itself. Of course, not that you would_need_to enter values manually now that you have such a wonderful tool to do it :badteethslayer: