Missing sidechain option in Bitwig Studio

Hi,

Just bought and started using Redux and I think it is fantastic!

However, I’m having one issue and I am not sure if the issue is Redux or Bitwig related, but I’m missing the option to select a sidechain input when using Redux in Bitwig Studio on an Ubuntu Linux system. Options for multichannel out are there however. Also when using a plugin like U-he Presswerk, the sidechain options are working fine for me.

Am I missing something or is it a bug in either Redux or Bitwig Studio?

-vincent

I’m on Win7 but tried it anyways. On insertion Redux creates an instrument track, while Presswerk creates an audio track. Did you try converting the Redux track to hybrid or audio?

Edit: Scratch the above, works for me as an instrument track just as well. I added an FX Chain in Redux with a #Line Input and did the typical Signal Follower thing. Works here.

Urgh, now I’ll have to make up my mind til Monday about that gift coupon, Presswerk or Uhbik, Filterscape or simply let it go to waste and save my money…

While sidechain input is part of the VST3 specification, many VST2 plugins does sidechaining just fine, including Redux, they just use the ‘normal’ audio inputs.

So f+d+k is right: first you need to set up Redux in Bigwig so that it receives audio from the desired track and then add a #line input device in the Effects panel of Redux.

Once this is done, you should be able to track the amplitude of the incoming audio using a Signal Follower device, which in turn can be used to control any number of other devices.

no no no, also vst 2.4 has side chain, thru input 3+4. Lots of plugins using that mechanism. They work, if the DAW supports input 3+4, for example Bitwig, Cubase or Ableton.

Edit: sorry, misread…

While sidechain input is part of the VST3 specification, many VST2 plugins does sidechaining just fine, including Redux, they just use the ‘normal’ audio inputs.

(I absolutely don’t want to hi-jack the thread) Do you mean it is actually possible to route audio into redux via the sidechain feature in a DAW? I can’t find any information on this, and I can’t seem to get it working in Studio One. It seems sidechaining only applies to effects (VST:s) and not instruments (VSTi:s).

no no no, also vst 2.4 has side chain, thru input 3+4.

Yes, that’s what I meant. It’s something plugin developers sort-of agreed on, due to the lack of an official standard.

Redux simply exposes audio inputs 1+2 to the host, which you can then use for sampling and live input/processing.

For example, Bitwig allows you to add an ‘Audio Receiver’ device which you can then use to feed audio into the Redux plugin.